Probably the best PSAs I've ever seen.
Doc,Oct 26 2004, 06:23 AM Wrote:Still angry just thinking about it.

These jerks need to be hit so gosh darned hard that spit flies out of their mouth, whips around, and hits them in the back of their head. Nothing straightens somebody out like being hit that hard.

[right][snapback]58218[/snapback][/right]

Hi Doc

In some cases, you may well be right - that old "Live by the sword, die by the sword" thing. But I just don't agree that fear of having the same thing meted out to them is the only way to 'correct' the behaviour.

In many cases, I suspect, the miscreants really just don't get the initial message that domestic violence is the same thing as assault on a stranger in a restaurant. They have been raised with domestic violence themselves (that made the looks on the children's faces in that first clip more poignant for me). The message that the rest of society just doesn't approve or condone it can be a new one to them, especially if that is all that they saw as children, so that it is the pattern they are following, on both sides (beater and recipient).

Knowing that the rest of society takes a different route to conflict resolution is a start. Even the most anti-social among us (usually) still crave the admiration of others. The next step, of course, is to help these folks find a way to channel their anger in more positive ways. Somehow, beating the sh*t out of them doesn't seem to me to fit that description.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

JustAGuy,Oct 20 2004, 02:15 PM Wrote:These are two Public Service Announcements that are apparently running on Calgary TV.

Restaurant PSA and the Boardroom PSA.

Best PSAs ever. That's Canadian TV for 'ya.
[right][snapback]57810[/snapback][/right]

Interesting stereotyping. My wife's brother in law worked family violence unit for seven years down here, he's now working homicide. Get this: he's glad to be out of the family violence line. If he saw those clips he'd shake his head, as they don't tell the story he has seen, based on our numerous conversations.

On the other hand, I always like a direct message, and the "it could happen to you" premise. Sorta like the issue of "yes, there are indeed nice, wealthy, upper and middle class suburban DRUG ADDICTS/Drunks/what have you in multitudes."

What I have personally noticed about wealthier people, though, is that they tend to attack one another with lawyers, not physical violence. <_<

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete