Magma has flowed to Mt. St. Helen's surface
Lissa,Oct 15 2004, 06:28 PM Wrote:HOLY CRAP, we were practically neighbors (Bulldogs suck...  :P )!  I was in Omak and I remember hearing the blast that morning.  I was outside with my father getting ready to wash the car when we heard it.  We thought it was just one of the jets from either Fairchild or from the coast flying around and going supersonic.
[right][snapback]57646[/snapback][/right]

That was surreal, hearing the blast from more than 200 miles away and then finding out what it was.

And I do remember year after year getting pummeled by the Pioneers in football--except for one year (would have been 1991?) we got a victory in Omak as I recall. The fans (including me) rushed the field, it was a good time.

I would've been amazed to find anyone hanging around here who even HEARD of Okanogan let alone lived just a few miles away.
vor_lord,Oct 15 2004, 08:27 PM Wrote:That was surreal, hearing the blast from more than 200 miles away and then finding out what it was.

And I do remember year after year getting pummeled by the Pioneers in football--except for one year (would have been 1991?) we got a victory in Omak as I recall.  The fans (including me) rushed the field, it was a good time.

I would've been amazed to find anyone hanging around here who even HEARD of Okanogan let alone lived just a few miles away.
[right][snapback]57648[/snapback][/right]

I was in my Junior year at the University of Arizona when that would have happen (the 1991 game). It's amazing how that whole area has changed since I left there in '89 to pursue a degree. When I left, Omak was around 4000 people and now it is somewhere on the order to 10000. It was also humorous for a long time thinking back that a county of 50000 people had a total of 3 stop lights... :P

Do you remember any of the forest fires in that area in the mid 80s? I remember the one vividly that was above Okanogan and across the valley burning in the vicinity of Omak Lake. That was the year everyone was wondering if Okanogan would be burned to the ground, but the fires never got that close to town.

And as they say, it's a small world... :lol:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Oct 15 2004, 09:20 PM Wrote:I was in my Junior year at the University of Arizona when that would have happen (the 1991 game).  It's amazing how that whole area has changed since I left there in '89 to pursue a degree.  When I left, Omak was around 4000 people and now it is somewhere on the order to 10000.  It was also humorous for a long time thinking back that a county of 50000 people had a total of 3 stop lights...  :P

Do you remember any of the forest fires in that area in the mid 80s?  I remember the one vividly that was above Okanogan and across the valley burning in the vicinity of Omak Lake.  That was the year everyone was wondering if Okanogan would be burned to the ground, but the fires never got that close to town.

And as they say, it's a small world...  :lol:
[right][snapback]57649[/snapback][/right]

3 stop lights? I thought there was just one (in downtown Omak) back then. They've added some since I left in 1992, but where were the others? I can still remember the first time I got to that stop light when learning to drive. I stopped, looked around, and went straight through the red light. My mom's face is indelibly imprinted on my mind... but hey, what do you expect when there's just one?

And yes, I remember a lot of forest fires. One year in particular trees burned on both sides of the highway just a few miles away. I remember sitting on our sundeck watching the big planes drop the flame retardant on the hills to the east in the hopes of slowing the fires enough to spare Okanogan.