International Beer Night
Mithrandir,Oct 8 2004, 05:03 PM Wrote:Over the course of a few rather strange events, Thursday nights have evolved into our local "International Beer Night" where we take a break from our normal Coors, High-Life, Busch, Guinness, etc. and make an attempt to broaden our horizons with some rarer fare.

This past Thursday was Red Stripe (Jamaica), Newcastle (a brown ale from England), Tsingtao (China), Mickey's (a malt liquor from the USA, but we had never seen it before so it received an exemption), Amstel Light (Amsterdam), and Molson Canadian. The Molson isn't exactly "broadening our horizons", but we felt that our neighbors to the north had to be respresented :)

The experience went over quite well: all were quite surprisingly good (the Tsingtao was especially surprising, I was expecting to have to choke that stuff down). Now our dilemma is to keep finding unique and/or international beers to keep trying, and I was curious if there were any suggestions from the brew connoisseurs out there.

(The single restriction is that it can't be *too* expensive. I don't mind putting money down on a good drink, but we are a bunch of college students afterall.)
[right][snapback]57331[/snapback][/right]

Oranjeboom Dutch beer is pretty good, but I lately have been quite keen on KcKewans, a Scottish brew. Also, any Theakstons product, thought keep an eye on the price.

Shiner Bock used to be quite affordable, but with the rise of microbrewery prices in general, Shiner Bock and Shiner BLond are in the six bucks per six pack realm, a bit steep.

I guess the price of stuff is on the rise.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 19 2004, 09:00 PM Wrote:Oranjeboom Dutch beer is pretty good, Occhi
[right][snapback]57747[/snapback][/right]

???try saying that to a dutch barman in a well respected pub...

I think oranjeboom is a beer we mainly export....because we don't like it! :D

No sorry I don't want to be like some college guy who drinks beer since a year...all very much "brand-minded"
It is just one of the dutch "a-quality" pilseners. And I think they only drink it in a region in the south of holland....not the deep south though (Limburg) because there they make the best dutch beers (and pilseners).

So to end up with the conclusion of my first post in this thread. Drink local beer!The export one just tastes different than the real stuf and you pay too much. And there is nothing better than sitting in a pub in London and drink a pint of half warm best bitter. Bringing beer home from hollidays might keep the nice holliday feeling for some days longer as well.

But he...image is also a main thing here.....I even drink a bottle of budweiser once in a while...and we all know what that tastes like. :D