Custom-built Computer
I am also one of those guys who swore up and down he would never use another prebuilt crap computer made by big bad companies such as dell, HP, ect and so forth.

However, I have to say, you 'can' get a decent deal on these babies, especially the refurbished computers, which dell has alot of. Some are ripoffs, some are not. Dell discounts and such change daily, from having xxx amount of dollars off, or free shipping. So you can get say... A Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB ram, DVD/CD/RW drive, Floppy, GeforceFX 5200 (Yeah yeah, I Know I know..) 80-120GB 7200 RPM hdd. Setup for around 700 bucks or possibly less.

Go Newegg and get a Sapphire ATI radeon 9800 pro 128mb (256bit) video card for around 200-220 bucks and you have a good gaming rig for less than a Grand, assuming you already have a monitor. Granted 512mb ram is a little low, but it is doable for the games today (Including Doom3).

---

Or if you want some cheap internet computer for someone, they have comps going for 250 bucks.

---

Oh and as for the 10% discount? You don't need a job to give you that, just keep an eye out every week or so and you can get up to 20% with free shipping. Google is a wonderful thing.