Impressions of a Warrior in Teldrassil
Since the start of this new version of the game, I've been trying to play a Human Priestess to see how that class works (I hadn't played one before her). However, the Human lands are overrun with players resulting in overcongestion in EVERY area of Westfall (and many of the Forest) as people compete to complete the many collection quests that Westfall offers. I quickly became frustrated with those areas after I had spent 4 hours playing yesterday afternoon and obtained FOUR new quest items (when the standard quest in Westfall requires upward of 10 items to complete the quest). So, out of frustration, I decided to recreate my main character from the last push on the FvF server. Thus, the Night Elf Warrior, Adam, was created.

I chose to recreate my night elf warrior since I had played an equivalent character up to level 20 on the PvE server in the last push. I figured I could compare the old Warrior versus the new to see how the changes affect Warrior tactics. Also, I wanted to see if there was anything new added to the Night Elf lands or if there was anything changed. Over the last day of my playing, I've found several diffences in each and I'd like to share my thoughts on them here. I'll start with the changes to Teldrassil.

Teldrassil: Where fun quests reign supreme

Initially, I didn't find that very much had changed in the lands of the Night Elves. The newbie area seems very comparable to the old one (though perhaps the quest items drop a bit more frequently). There are definitely more mobs roaming the lands, however, so completing quests seemed a bit less of a pain in the newbie areas this time around. Besides that, however, the starting area is basically the same as it was before. You've got some basic quests that involve killing certain types of monsters or obtaining items for NPCs.

You also start one of the things that I like about Night Elf lands, the quests that have you run around, filling up vials and giving you a great deal of backstory for the Night Elves. Those quests are great because they really help you get into your character and see the sort of motivation he has to go and start roaming the world. Also, those quests encourage you to explore the island and the quests often lead you to find other quests that you can do.

Continuing out of the newbie zone, I found that many of the old quests are still around, but there are a few new ones that go a long way toward helping an up-and-coming Night Elf progress through the levels without having to just randomly grind through monsters for XP. For the most part, these quests don't really add additional areas for you to go through and kill things, but instead provide you with additional quests to do in each area. One such quest gives you more to do in Starbreeze Village than before and eventually leads you to fight a powerful new named boss in the area. Another quest makes fighting through the Awakening quest less of a boring dungeon crawl as you can find and complete the quest deep inside the dungeon without ever leaving. I found these quests to really tighten up the experience of playing a Night Elf, allowing you to be continuously questing through the newbie zone. In addition, these quests help you get more than enough experience over the course of the island so that when you are ready to leave the island, you're strong enough to last in the next area. I found this in stark contrast to the human lands where I'm often out of quests to complete before I'm at a high enough level to last in Westfall or beyond.

In addition to more quests, the lands of Teldrassil are much more filled out than they were before. In areas where there used to be empty forests, you can now find enemy encampments, additional quests, or other additional things to keep you interested. This makes the land seem a lot less empty and encourages you to explore as you quest.

Finally, one big difference that I saw during my time in Teldrassil over my time in the human lands was that there wasn't nearly as much over-crowding. I would say that the number of people playing in the areas alongside me in Teldrassil was just about perfect. I had few problems finding mobs to fight (again in stark contrast to human lands) yet whenever I needed to find a group to take on the dungeons of Teldrassil, I had few problems putting together a team to do so. In addition, when I went to play in teams, I often found one or two people I had previously played with still in the area and available to quest. That was nice in that it seemed to shrink the world down a bit, allowing me to chat with them as we fought as we got used to playing with each other.

Overall, starting this new Night Elf was a blast! The quests are more inventive and group-oriented rather than dull collection grinds like most human quests seem to be. Rather than killing the same 4 mob types for 6 straight hours, I was able to wander the world, delving into caves of my choosing alongside other people and not have my progress slowed down. I hope that Blizzard will realize just how fun Teldrassil is to play right now and try to take the good things about the Night Elf lands and apply them to the other areas of the game. If so, I think this game will be great fun to play and I would definitely play it when released!

The Warrior: Now with a more frenzied Rage

In the last push, my impression of the Warrior was that it was a fairly good class to be able to handle most situations, but that it just always seemed sluggish. Most Warrior abilities could only be applied at however fast you attacked so there was a huge incentive to use the faster weapons. In addition, whenever you used a special ability, like Rend or Hamstring, you would gain no Rage from that special attack. Again, this provided a lot of incentive to use a fast weapon like a dagger since, over a given time interval, you'd generally get more Rage. Also, since you could only use abilities as quickly as you attacked, if you had a slow weapon you seemed to stand around for ages in between each action. If was fun, but kind of annoying.

Now, however, many of these problems have been addressed. Rend, Hamstring, Disarm, and Sundering Strike are now instant cast abilities. This means that they no longer take the place of an attack and so you gain Rage from additional attacks compared to before this patch. In addition, combat for a Warrior doesn't have the sluggish feeling it once did. You now tend to have enough Rage to use abilities more often than before and since you don't have to wait for your next standard attack to use them, combat is much more frenzied with lots of special abilities being used throughout combat rather than the few from before.

Overall, I think the changes to the Warrior's combat abilities make the Warrior slightly better in combat than before, but MUCH more fun to play! The Warriors of this push are much more frenzied, calling upon most of their skills in every battle as they whirl around throwing down standard and special attacks left and right until nothing is left.
-TheDragoon
Your summation of time spent in Teldrassil is dead on. I have started characters in Tirisfal Glades (Undead), Durotar (Orc and Troll), Dun Morogh (Dwarf and Gnome), Mulgore (Tauren), and Teldrassil (Elf), and Teldrassil was the best. I'd rank the starting areas for the classes in terms of questing and "fun factor" as:

Teldrassil (best)
Mulgore
Tirisfal Glades
Durotar
Dun Morogh (worst)

A major problem with Dun Morogh is a serious lack of quests. My level 8 mage is OUT of quests to do, and he'll have to migrate to the human lands, unfortunately.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jun 21 2004, 01:33 AM Wrote:A major problem with Dun Morogh is a serious lack of quests.  My level 8 mage is OUT of quests to do, and he'll have to migrate to the human lands, unfortunately.
Odd.... last push I found enough quests there to keep my warlock busy until level 10. Even then th only reason I went to the human lands was the voidwalker quest sends you there. I still had enough to keep me moving there and onto Loch Modan if there had not been the quest to force that class to go to Storwind and the Elwynn Forest. Quite a few of the quests in that area were only offered in out of the way places, not started in the towns or even encountered on the 'normal' way to another quest. With the opening of the Gnomorean area I would expect there to be additional quests added to that area, most likely started from within Ironforge.
What you describe in Dun Morogh is exactly the same problem that you see in Elwynn Forest. Compared to Teldrassil, the human starting lands seem a bit devoid of quests to help you out. When I finished Teldrassil I was level 12 (and that's without taking extra time out just to kill things). When I was playing my human priest, I was just barely level 10 before I left Elwynn Forest. This made going into the next area rather difficult.

One thing I've wondered about this is whether this was partially by design. Perhaps because Teldrassil is more out of the way and a long way off from Dun Morogh, they tried to make it stand on its own a bit better. Conversely, it's pretty easy (and cheap) to fly between Stormwind and Ironforge so the humans, dwarves and gnomes have no difficulties going back and forth. However, if that IS what they are thinking, then I suspect they'll need to re-think things because Elwynn Forest is over-croweded like no other. You're pretty lucky when you can find mobs to fight for quests there. I think part of that is the prevalence of collection quests since those don't really go all that much faster if you group up and so people have to sit around farming specific monster types until they get their 10 gold dusts or 8 large candles, etc.
-TheDragoon
For me the larger problem of Elwynn is the large numbers of 20+ characters farming the defias for linen and killing everything in sight for copper, sellables, etc. I've also noticed that with changes to the tapping system that it seems like people are less willing to help you out if they see things going south for you. This way if you die, they can go ahead and kill your mob and get all the loot. If they help you out they only get half the loot. :rolleyes:
It appears that Bolty's real problem is outlined in this thread.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx...nt=60#post96715

I had only just been able to start playing again yesterday and had been spending most of my time trying to gather and re-equip items for a couple of my higher level characters. As such I had not been operating in areas where I was doing what would be 'new' quests or quests that were really at my level (trying to pick up some of the old quest rewards again). This left me only see the experience gain from the few quests tha I handed in (which seemed lower than I remembered). My first though was that maybe they were now applying a level adjustment to those quest rewards to discourage the players from doing lots of quests below their level, but that does not appear to be the case. With 'bugged/nerfed' quest experience and the adjustments to some of the mob base line experience, I can see where Bolty could be running into a problem with doing meaningful leveling without having to spend a bit of time just grinding mobs somewhere.
Correct - Blizzard has now admitted that there's a problem with the quest reward system in terms of exp given. Some quests, not all, give far too little exp - and as a result, you now have to move around a LOT more than previous phases in order to find possible quests for you to do at your level. What this means is that as time goes on, it will get harder and harder to find quests that you can do.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.