Monster regen
As everyone knows, M regen on Hell is insane. But explanations have always pointed to their massive life as being the culprit.

However, unless regen is more than just proportional to life, this can't be true because the life bar on hell monsters replenishes itself much more quickly on hell. If regen was only proportional to life, then health bars should increase at the same rate no matter how much life.

So does anyone have the actual mechanics at hand? I'm just trying to work out how valuable PMH would be.
I do believe it varies on a per monster basis. But I could be wrong. So if I'm right, you'll have to get some fancy chart of all the monster types and their regeneration rates.
Hi Obi,

Quote: I do believe it varies on a per monster basis
I'll second that, especially after reading Mt. Arreat:
Quote:Greater Mummies heal 50% faster than normal monsters.
Don't know how fast, though. Adeyke perhaps?

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Quote from Ruvanal:

Quote:DamageRegen
Life is tracked internally at a precision of an extra 8 bits (1/256 of point) and the calculations should be done at this scale. Time is normally handled internally in frames (25frames=1sec).
life recovery per frame = MAXLIFE*DamageRegen/4096

So for a monster with 500 HP this would be 500*256=128000 in the games scale
and the regeneration per frame with a DamageRegen=2 would be
128000*2/4096=62 or 62/256 of a life per frame.
rescaling this to HP/sec you would get
25*62/625 =1550/256 = 6.05 HP per sec.

Most monsters do have DamageRegen = 2. The only difference between the normal and hell regeneration rate (in terms of percent of max life per second) would be due to rounding. This wouldn't be very significant.

Some monsters to indeed have a higher regeneration rate.
So that's telling me that if you take the life of a monster in normal down to half, and the life of the same monster type in hell down to half, then it will take the same length of time for them both to get back to full.

From my experience, that isn't the case, but I'll check it out.