qlvl and mlvl question
Ok I have a noob question, I'll ask anyways or else I can't sleep. The question is I was under the assumption that as a general rule for monster drops, the mlvl > qlvl of the item or it can't be dropped by that monster. The reason I asked is because Hell Countess just dropped a Mara's for me, but accord to D2data qlvl for Mara's is 80 while Hell countess is mlvl 72.

I have been reading a few post and notice pple refering to this TC txt file that list which monters can drop what. So I guess my assumption above was wrong. So if some one can please point me to a thread with the proper info or give me a quick crash course in Item generation in 1.10, it would be very appreciated.
There are two things named qlvl. One is the level of the base item. A monster's TC determines what base items it can drop. In nightmare and hell, a high mlvl will upgrade the monster's TC. However, there's nothing to prevent monsters from having a TC that far exceeds their mlvl. For example, a normal quill rat could be given TC 87. The fact that they don't have this is due to game design, not technical limitations.

The other qlvl is the level of a unique or set item. A unique or set item can spawn only if the ilvl of the item is at least as high is the unique/set qlvl. No exceptions. Mara's is, indeed, qlvl 80. However, the Hell Countess isn't mlvl 72. She's 82.

In 1.09, the mlvl of superuniques was determined by adding 3 to the base monster's mlvl. In 1.10 (nightmare/hell only), the mlvl is instead determined by adding 3 to the level of the area in which the superunique is found. This same sort of mlvl-scaling applies to almost all monsters (there are just a handful of exceptions, such as act bosses). So she's 79 + 3 = 82, not 69 + 3 = 72. The d2data.net information doesn't reflect this and is thus very inaccurate.
Oh the data from D2data was wrong... And I forgot that the Countess does get the mlvl upgrade from the arealvl. Can you direct me to any other site with accurate mlvls for most Super Uniques?

Oh and one other question is I guess all the qlvl listed for set items in D2data are wrong too rite?

And thanx again adeyke for helping people like me.
The item data on d2data.net is all accurate as far as I have seen. The only primary information they have wrong is mlvls, which unfortunately renders a lot of consequent stuff invalid.

Doc Tenshi has been good enough to host this little table I concocted after being asked "what level is X" one too many times :)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tokusanya/Monsters.htm
That lists all the non-random monsters, the highest TC they can drop from, and their mlvl, in each of the three dificulties.
You may also be interested in this more concise list of TCs and set/unique item qlvls
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tokusanya/11...110_full_tc.txt
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
Wow very useful. Everything is so much clearer now. Now is there such a list for runes too? Like what lvls the monsters have to be to drop them.
I guess I could make another list :)

Maybe for now a couple of "rules" will be enough...
Runes come in pairs - any monster that can drop Mal can drop Ist also, any that can drop Gul can drop Vex also.
If a monster can drop a rune, it can drop all lower runes.
Monsters in different classes upgrade differently - different levels at which they become able to drop the next level of runes. I can at least list here the levels for regular melee monsters (casters, archers, wraiths, cows, etc may have different levels, but this is the most common monster type and will give you an idea).

51 - Um
57 - Ist
63 - Vex
69 - Lo
74 - Ber
79 - Cham
82 - Zod

Now, unfortunately this list doesn't apply to the list of monsters I linked to. Most of them are superuniques, and have different upgrade levels, or have their own special TC, with whatever rune drop has been assigned them. I will look into including rune info on my hosted list. However, in general, special monsters (other than a couple of examples) aren't a good source of runes - they have increased chance to drop items but this comes at a cost of chance to drop other things.
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke