Did something change with the forums?
It seems that the forum topic list display has changed. I can't think of anything that has changed in the last day or two on my end. When I pull up the topic list for one of the forums, it gives me unread message icons for the topics with new/edited messages. It used to be that when I would open a topic and read through the messages and then select back from my browser, the topic would still show as having new messages. It wouldn't switch until I left the LL and returned or forced a reload in the browser. Now I do the same thing (again using the back function in the browser not the back to the lounge link) and the page correctly updates my new message icon to an all messages read icon for the topic. Please tell me that I haven't lost my last little bit of sanity and made up this change.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Well, this seems to happen to me as well, but only after I make a post. So if I'm browsing along, and have a page full of unread icons, when I reply to something, it is updated, even if I hit back.
Well, recently I changed the way the forum handles redirection - see this thead - so that could have something to do with it.

Are you saying this change is bad or good? I would think it would be a good thing, but I can't tell from your tone :)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
For me, I like it, but just barely (as in it doesn't really affect me that much). It does occassionally (I hate double letters... lost me the spelling Bee twice) save me a refresh.
Bolty,Apr 24 2004, 02:09 PM Wrote:Well, recently I changed the way the forum handles redirection - see this thead - so that could have something to do with it.

Are you saying this change is bad or good?  I would think it would be a good thing, but I can't tell from your tone  :)

-Bolty
I knew you had changed that. I was interested in that thread and brought up a side question based on the initial post. The change I noticed is just in the last couple days (4/22?) though so it is something else. I do like the change as it is one less step to follow my unread messages. However, as Obi2Kenobi said, it doesn't affect me that much. It's just that you get so used to things being one way, when you notice some small change, you question your sanity just a bit. Did a change really happen or did some bit get twiddled in my brain that gave me a false memory. :blink:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
OK Bolty, you're playing with my mind again aren't you? It seems that, just in the last 10 hours or so, the topic lists have now gone back to their previous way of not refreshing the new message icons on a browser-back. The only thing that has changed here is switching firewalls and I can't imagine how switching firewalls could affect such behavior. There was no such switch when the board changed to prompt my original post.

Oh OK, I get it! Bolty clicked a little button to make the earlier change knowing that someone would ask a stupid, pointless question about it to see who would bite. Then, after hooking the biggest sucker on the board, he waited a couple weeks before ckicking the button to switch it back. I can just hear the evil cackling as he mumbles "This will really flip his wig! Heeheeheeheehee!"
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I didn't change a thing, Lochnar. Either:

A) it's something on your end, or
B) there was some change in the PHP configuration that the hosting company made on the server.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Ack! You're right! But I don't notice anymore (so I don't know how long this has been), as I click the link at the top (stating my current directory in the forums) to bring me back, now that I switched to threaded (a trial run).