What a wonderful world
As none of you are probably aware of, we had a major bank heist early this morning in the town where I live, about 10 minutes from my house. Although this kind of thing might be common where you live (in a major metropolitan area), we have never seen anything like this here

08.00 this morning a group of 10 armed men, bearing automatic weapons, gas grenades and masks launched a well-coordinated bank heist in the center of Stavanger, Norway. According to the media, they managed to hit one police officer with a stray bullet who sat in his car quite some distance away from the actual robbery. He died, 53 years old, leaving a wife, children and grandchildren behind. Needless to say, this has had quite an impact on us here in Stavanger, but also in all of Norway. We're just not used to this.

Not only were they heavily armed, when speeding away from the crime scene, they fired aimlessly at civilians out of the moving escape vehicles. It's a miracle none were hit. In addition to this, they used spike mats (someone correct this idiomatic falacy) to hinder any pursuit. They had parked a gigantic semi-trailer in front of the police plaza garage, set it ablaze so the police couldn't react as quickly as one might would've expected. They drove their cars off-road, set them on fire, and are still at large. Whether they had back-up cars or are still out there in the forests of Stavanger, we don't know. Judging by their methodical planning, I'd say they're half way to Oslo by now.

.. and despite all this, police officers still won't be allowed to bear arms. It's horrifying enough that they should have to, but even more so that they're not allowed. There were in fact police officers on the scene this very morning, but were unarmed and could not intervene. Who knows what might've happened, if they had a sidearm with them. Granted a single pistol might not be much in a firefight against fully-automatic rifles, but at least you're not 'naked'!

I just had to listen to this today. What the hell is wrong with the world?

Also, my uncle and cousin worked in the bank during the robbery. I got a phone call from my father today saying they were unharmed. Thank God.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Also, my uncle and cousin worked in the bank during the robbery. I got a phone call from my father today saying they were unharmed. Thank God.

Silver lining to the cloud. Hope they catch the folks who did it. Hmmm, wonder if they watched all of the great Hollywood bank robbery movies, The Brinks Job, The Great Train Robbery, The Italian Job to get some pointers.

OK, if they did, then it is time to sue the movie makers for all of that, what say? :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete