I am so happy!
I just found my very first bugged item during entirely legit play with my ladder pure bonemancer.

It is a non-magical yew wand with following wonderful mod:

+1 to Poison Dagger (necromancer only)

Unfortunately it is somewhat marred by the slightly useful "+1 to Skeleton Mastery", but beggers can't be chosers.

* Little Faith dances around in glee.
Makes one wonder about the possibility-- making the dagger a Necromancer bonus class alongside wands. I mean, how many other classes have specific skills or abilities that utilize daggers?

The trick here: creating a Cube recipe that transforms a wand into a fitting dagger that carries the same attributes that were accorded to the wand.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
This was a change so that the +(1 to 3) to Poison Dagger could spawn on the necro's voodoo heads. In earlier versions there was test to make sure that skill did not spawn on items, but that would have also prevented the voodoo heads from getting the skill also.
Are you sure of that, Ruvanal? Maybe Blizzard was thinking that since a barb can duel wield, they can put one of those in one hand, and a dagger in the other. :P
I'm sure Blizzard realized that the staffmods are class-specific, though :).
Little Faith,Dec 8 2003, 05:08 PM Wrote:I just found my very first bugged item during entirely legit play with my ladder pure bonemancer.

It is a non-magical yew wand with following wonderful mod:

+1 to Poison Dagger (necromancer only)
however bug cancels bug!...

If they didn't fix the bug I reported reguarding +skills then you *can* use this wand usefully:

try having +1 or more to necro skills available (perhaps poison/bone tree works) but no inherent knowledge of the poison dagger.

equip the wand.

alternate to a weapon switch with a dagger and a necro head with a skill you also don't know and select that skill on right mouse. remove the head while (at least temporarily) being at +0 skills.

weapon switch back to wand.

have +skills (general or tree).

select poison dagger on your right mouse action

weapon switch to the dagger.

now, this is all from memory (feel free to test around) in beta, and you're welcome to look at my maggot lair post instead of this iirc post, but at this point I'd expect that your right mouse action would appear to be normal attack (on the lying character screen) but the server will think you have poison dagger (with a dagger, as required).

Assuming they didn't "fix" the "bug".

Also, there is probably an easier way to trigger the situation, but I'm working from memory and not in a mode to test atm.

In short, bug trumps bug. The item is quite possibly ironic, but not "useless" (for some bizarre definition of useless that is :D )
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits