Priest trinkets
Welcome to another post from the Clueless Zone™!

Playing my priestess (level 78 at the moment) I have always been kind of a regen hog. I made a max +healing and a max regeneration set early in my TBC raiding career and I'm running with the regen set about 75% of the time. I just like having to drink as little as possible and having a large mana reserve for that eventual multipull or whatnot. So I obtained a lovely Beast Deck for the Blue Dragon trinket at 70 and ran Botanica a couple of times for the Bangle of Endless Blessings. I still use those, partly because I haven't come across another nice regen trinket, partly because back then the combination was godly (or so I was told, being a failure at grasping the mechanics behind the game to a useful extent).

Checking the tooltip of the Bangle it now occasionally allows 11% of mana regeneration to continue while casting, somewhere in the back of my head a voice is screaming NERFED!, I think it was 30% once, or at least more than 11%, which is kind of low.

To finally get to a question: Is the combination of above trinkets still still a decent choice for a Holy/Disc hybrid priest with a nice amount of Spirit (armory down atm of course...)? Or should I, with the incoming changes to spirit regen, ditch them and run with my spellpower trinkets?

If anybody would be so kind as to to quickly point out some numbers that point towards a certain choice ("you are only regenerating x mana over y seconds with that combo, fool!"), it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

take care
Tarabulus

P.S.: My priestess' name is Shaisa, on Twilight's Hammer EU, if the armory comes back up:)

EDIT: "preistess", ouch...
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Being interested in all priestly things, I wish I could give a better answer. With all the changes coming in 3.1 regen will be significantly different so this is all likely to change.

But here is a summary, as of 3.0. In particular your two old favorite trinkets are mentioned. Note that below the term "new regen mechanics" is referring to 3.0... the "old new mechanics" :rolleyes:

Source:
http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t35208-wotlk_h...t_specs_etc/p7/

Quote:Have you done any research into the impact of the new regen mechanics combine with the [Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon], or [Bangle of Endless Blessings]? I heard roomers they scaled down the bangle as your level increases but I haven't heard anything about the blue dragon.
Quote:Blue Dragon is and always has been 2%. It's stated so on the item. The Bangle on the other hand has a PL formula in it, indicating that 70 is 15% and loses 1% every 2 level until 0% at level 100.

As such, you'll still see some benefit to levelling with the bangle (great for spirit classes) and some benefit to using it at 80, but the Darkmoon Card will always be just as good as it was at 60.

My bolded added as it is not strictly true. OOFSR regen due to basic game formulas has changed significantly, changing the value gained by that proc. 3.1 will probably be even more damaging for blue dragon, I'm afraid, as OOFSR will be further nerfed (beyond what they did with 3.0).

For other regen trinket options, here is the 3.0 list from EJ, culled for regen only. Sorry for no links to these, this is me being lazy.

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t35208-wotlk_h...raft_specs_etc/

25-man Raid Drops:
[Soul of the Dead]: very good trinket, if oddly placed as not *really* regen, and not *really* throughput
[Living Ice Crystals]: decent Disc trinket; weak for Holy

10-man Raid Drops:

[Spirit-World Glass]: amazing trinket for Holy, meh for Disc.
[Majestic Dragon Figurine]: again, decent for Holy, meh for Disc.
[Je'Tze's Bell]: awesome trinket, and in 3.0.8, BoE!!

Badge / World-drop / 5-man Drops:

[Futuresight Rune]: quest reward from the final quest in Dragonblight, it's a nice replacement for Earring of Soulful Meditation
[Soul Preserver]: drop from Old Stratholme
[Talisman of Troll Divinity]: drop from heroic Drek'tharon keep
[Spark of Life]: heroic Halls of Stone

Let me add Darkmoon Card: Greatness for your consideration. But that is more of a raiding situation.
Thanks a bunch, some stuff to munch over while trying to make sense of the upcoming regen changes:)

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I finally put Blue Dragon in the bank in preparation for 3.1. The content we see now we have strong enough gear that I haven't needed the regen since the first night on Malygos. And it's value drops rather significantly in 3.1

It's "MP5 value" is a function of OO5SR regen - IS5SR regen, a value which is decreasing significantly.

I use darkmoon: Illusion as an easy to obtain trinket with a good combination of stats (98 spellpower and an on use: that is mathematically 20 MP5). The cost of the cards is in fairly steady decline. People still want Noble cards, and all the other cards just go for cheap. It's a good starting option just because all it takes is gold.

Another good starter option for regen is the Soul Preserver trinket from normal Culling of Strat. The only issue here is nobody wants to run normal CoS, as heroic these days takes like 30 minutes for 5 badges.
Anyway that trinket is about -16 mana per cast if you cast for 800+ mana each time (2% proc rate, so 1 in 50 casts = -800 mana ==> 800/50 = 16) which makes it average ~30 MP5 on greater spam. If multiple target heals offer larger chance, it can potentially be worth over 50 MP5 when you use lots of binding or PoH / CoH.

Of course there's Darkmoon: Greatness, which is the best for mana regen period, but you'll pay a TON for it. I think it's down to attainable for only 4-5k now. Used to be 10k. The bell (Jazzebell but spelled wonky, I just search AH for bell) is also a very expensive, but very nice trinket. It's better than darkmoon:Illusion, with a tiny bit more spellpower and will typically yield more in the 30MP5 range. But the only way you'll get it is to pay 4-10k on the AH. Those two are "the best" non-raid options. However, not everyone had 8-20k gold to spend on trinkets.

Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:I use darkmoon: Illusion as an easy to obtain trinket with a good combination of stats (98 spellpower and an on use: that is mathematically 20 MP5).

You know I never read far enough on the proc to see that it returned mana.

Personally I've been wanting Greatness and Je'Tze's Bell but I am definitely not rich enough even for one of them.
Quote:Personally I've been wanting Greatness and Je'Tze's Bell but I am definitely not rich enough even for one of them.

While I am technically rich enough, I'd rather not shell out that much for two trinkets for an alt. Even though the amounts of money one can make by levelling up in instances and then running the quests is insane:).

But my warrior needs a Hog to go along with the Mammoth:o.

I'll remember you.
Thanks for the input, I'll look for cards among guildies, as I still have to fill up the xp bar twice, I have some time to work on my gear.

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.