The Lurker Lounge Forums
I feel so guilty - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: I feel so guilty (/thread-6735.html)

I feel so guilty - DeeBye - 03-25-2005

I made a trip to Staples to buy my parents a new mouse. They are still in the stone age and outright refuse to bother buying an optical one. I figured I'd buy them one and make it a present. Everyone loves presents, right?

Well, it seemed that Staples had a really outstanding sale on a really outstanding mouse.
[Image: mx5109lq.jpg]

This is a Logitech MX-510. The MSRP is $59.99, and Staples offered an instant $30 rebate and a mail-in $10 rebate, bringing the final price (pending the mail-in rebate) down to just under $20. How could I lose? This was a great deal. I bought it.

When I got home, I figured I'd try the mouse out just to be sure I wasn't going to be giving my folks a dud. The mouse worked just fine. In fact, it's completely awesome! It's a much nicer mouse than my 3 year old Microsoft optical. I've decided to be a very bad son and keep the Logitech MX-510 for myself and give my parents my old Microsoft one.

The Microsoft optical is still a nice mouse and has served me well over these past few years. It works just as well as the day I bought it and has survived 3 computers. It's 100x better than the noname ball mouse sans scroll wheel my parents use day after day. I feel pretty good about giving them my old mouse, but I really feel hella guilty about keeping the gift I bought for myself.

Have you ever bought a gift for someone else and keep it for yourself?

I feel so guilty - Minionman - 03-25-2005

Sometimes when me and my brother give each other stuff it works out that way. I got him "SWAT" for christmas this year and ended up being the one watching it. This happens with gifts from anybody though.

I feel so guilty - jahcs - 03-25-2005

Nah, don't feel too guilty. All them new fangled buttons on that logitech contraption, just end up confusin' 'em! Way too much mouse for a couple a greenhorns like your parents. ;)

jahcs,Mar 25 2005, 12:54 AM Wrote:Nah, don't feel too guilty.  All them new fangled buttons on that logitech contraption, just end up confusin' 'em!  Way too much mouse for a couple a greenhorns like your parents. ;)
[right][snapback]71824[/snapback][/right]

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!

Now I feel a hundred times better :)

I feel so guilty - Quark - 03-25-2005

And my friend didn't believe me at first when I told him to get that mouse!

I've been using the MX-500 since about when it came out. It's awesome, and the 510 makes it obsolete :)

I feel so guilty - Concillian - 03-25-2005

I have the blue version of the MX-510. That mouse rocks.

You made the right decision. You will appreciate it more than your parents. Your parents will learn how nice optical mice are, even though it is a hand-me-down.

I feel so guilty - Obi2Kenobi - 03-25-2005

Don't feel guilty, you're still upgrading their mouse for them.

On a side note...
(The best mouse I have used, next to the worst keyboard I have ever used)
[Image: DSCN0594.jpg]

I feel so guilty - Obi2Kenobi - 03-25-2005

DeeBye,Mar 24 2005, 11:07 PM Wrote:I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!

Now I feel a hundred times better  :)
[right][snapback]71825[/snapback][/right]
Yes, jahcs...

[Image: Creditdeserved.jpg]

Obi2Kenobi,Mar 25 2005, 01:32 AM Wrote:Don't feel guilty, you're still upgrading their mouse for them.

On a side note...
(The best mouse I have used, next to the worst keyboard I have ever used)
[Image: DSCN0594.jpg]
[right][snapback]71831[/snapback][/right]

I'm almost too embarrassed to post this picture, but here goes.
[Image: mousepad8rs.jpg]

Yes, I own the world's ugliest mousepad. Go ahead and make fun of me. Don't make fun of my computer table though -- it's over a hundred years old.

I feel so guilty - Swiss Mercenary - 03-25-2005

Hey - I bought that mouse (With a black and silver exterior, but still) from Futureshop, also for 19.99$ - Aparrently some poor guy, who intended it to be 10$ off 59.99$, bringng the price to 49.99$, has accidently labeled it to be 40$ off, bringing the price to the aforementioned 19.99$...

And the mistake occured in the Futureshop National flier...

Needless to say, I've picked up two.

I feel so guilty - [wcip]Angel - 03-25-2005

I bought my father the 3rd season of Frasier, but when it got in the mail I thought "he probably won't like it" (despite him being a huge fan of the show), and put the DVD-box set in my book-case next to season 1 and 2 :P

I feel so guilty - cheezz - 03-25-2005

Fer shame, even !!!! .

Justifying theft by claiming the victims are too stoopid ?? That's a long climb out of that hole you're digging. :whistling:

Try this instead. Buy a second mouse and justify it with the standard "But it was on sale" mantra.

If that still won't appease your guilt, then just use the dark side. Buy 3 for the price of 1 and sell the third to an unsuspecting friend for $40. He gets a new mouse for 2/3 of retail, your parents get a nice new mouse, and you get a free one for your efforts.

What ?? No, I don't feel guilty at all. B)

I feel so guilty - LavCat - 03-26-2005

DeeBye,Mar 24 2005, 11:37 PM Wrote:Have you ever bought a gift for someone else and keep it for yourself?
[right][snapback]71817[/snapback][/right]

Yes. I bought a stuffed animal for my granddaughter, but she and I sort of bonded and I kept her. Went back and spent some time with the the other eight or so identical stuffed kitties and selected another for my grandaughter. Usually when I get a present for a grandchild I feel guilty about keeping it. The solution is to go out and get another for myself.

But this does not always work. Last year I was shopping for a doll and fell in love with one I met. I made no pretense whom it was for. There was a similar doll available who was a blond, like my granddaughter, and though she had to come from Germany, I paid her passage.

photograph

Unfortunately or fortunately she and my granddaughter had a falling out, so now both dolls live happily with me.

I feel so guilty - DeeBye - 03-27-2005

LavCat,Mar 25 2005, 09:28 PM Wrote:photograph
[right][snapback]71930[/snapback][/right]

Why does that doll have her hand up her skirt?

I feel so guilty - LavCat - 03-27-2005

DeeBye,Mar 27 2005, 01:34 AM Wrote:Why does that doll have her hand up her skirt?
[right][snapback]72013[/snapback][/right]

I wondered that myself. In real life at the moment she has her arm around her brown haired friend.

I feel so guilty - whyBish - 03-28-2005

DeeBye,Mar 25 2005, 07:09 PM Wrote:Yes, I own the world's ugliest mousepad.  Go ahead and make fun of me.  Don't make fun of my computer table though -- it's over a  hundred years old.

Ehhh... Those optical mice even work brilliantly on carpet, so why have a mousepad?!

I feel so guilty - DeeBye - 03-29-2005

whyBish,Mar 28 2005, 05:31 AM Wrote:Ehhh... Those optical mice even work brilliantly on carpet, so why have a mousepad?!
[right][snapback]72095[/snapback][/right]

It just doesn't feel right without a mousepad.

I feel so guilty - TaiDaishar - 03-29-2005

DeeBye,Mar 29 2005, 07:41 AM Wrote:It just doesn't feel right without a mousepad.
[right][snapback]72223[/snapback][/right]

I'm so with you on that!

'sides, it scratches the table :P