I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with Leatherworking
I've made it to 356 Leatherworking, mainly through loyalty than anything else. The cheap leather armour and kits were a huge draw for a beginning hunter. These days it seems that the only reason I've stuck with it these last lord-knows-how-long is the Riding Crop, which, unfortunately for the capitalistically-minded of us, has an obtainable-for-all quest reward equivalent alongside the rather expensive material costs. The Fel Scale set was attractive at first, but the stupid level requirement stagger coupled with superior quest rewards killed that off too (Though I still am 2/4 of the set). Drums are... Well, meh, though I can see the worth of them outside of groups.

At the moment, there's not much in my craftable list that's orange - Mainly the Aldor belts, the ever-popular (snrk) Riding Crop, and Glove Reinforcements - 18 Heavy Knothide and 14 Primal Earth for a measly 240 armour on a single slot? Get outta here. So I'm really considering a respec of my tradeskills.

Blacksmithing seems to be out of the question, since that seems fairly moribund for any non-plate class. Ditto for Tailoring on a non-cloth class (Well, yeah, I could wear cloth...). So I'm wondering what exactly to do with myself.

Keep Skinning, take up a second gathering profession: Not exactly how well this would work out for me, considering it would mean that my cramped inventory space would become even worse (One bag slot for ammo, one already for leather and such, one for consumables for both myself and pet, plus general overflow between the rest). I suppose I could prepare for this and cook up the super-duper Reinforced Mining Bags that I already have the pattern for (Lousy Tailoring, getting all the neato containers). Tauren Cultivation would also help out for herb gathering.

Keep Skinning, take up Enchanting: No doubt about it, Enchanting is expensive. That said, I could always sell the leather I make and strip the AH of cheap greens. There'll also be a lot of time soloing the lower-end instances just to get this off to a good start. How good is Enchanting to start up on a budget?

Herbalism & Alchemy: In retrospect, I might have been better off starting off with this. Alchemy also seems to have a fairly easy levelling routine compared to the other tradeskills, and I could always do with more mana potions and the like. The only affecting decision here is that I'm Aldor, which lacks Alchemy (Though the Scryers only get one recipe. Increase fire damage. Wheeeeeeeee.).

Mining & Engineering: Scopes and ammo, and teleports to some major cities. Somewhat appealing. Isn't there some added craftable ammo in 2.4 or was I dreaming again? That said, the whole Engineering profession seems a tad out-of-character for me.

Mining & Jewelcrafting: I hear that this is nowhere near as profitable as it could be, plus there's an inordinate amount of reputation grinds in order to get any decent reputations. Apparently not a good choice for an unguilded misanthrope such as myself.

Stick with Leatherworking: And hope that something improves it in my eyes. Maybe there's an ultra-cool high-level set or craftable that I'm missing. It's also not like I don't have the resources already.

Hope that Inscribing is leet and roxxor: So when is the expansion due?

So, as always, any suggestion from the Mighty Lurkers™ would be appreciated:)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386

Messages In This Thread
I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with Leatherworking - by NiteFox - 02-18-2008, 10:28 PM