Chinese government tells people what they can watch on TV
(10-29-2011, 07:02 PM)eppie Wrote: Ok but what is finally the difference with the FCC (or whoever does this) that decides that a certain movie or TV show can only be seen when you are over 12, 15 or 18 years old?
No difference. In the olden days, there were only open broadcast channels. Now, with digital channels you need an encoder/decoder, which also allows one to send meta-data on the shows content, and allow the viewer to set "parental controls".

You are right that the government censors have little reason to exist anymore. And, it is ridiculous for them to fine someone for Janet Jackson's 2 second supposed wardrobe malfunction. When I saw it live, I wasn't even sure what happened.

The Chinese officials are afraid that people will begin to model behaviors they see outside of China. They are worried about moral corruption, or that the people will begin to slip their yokes and question authorities.

(10-29-2011, 11:45 PM)Treesh Wrote: Depends on what denomination you are Kan and how repressed your preacher/pastor/priest/etc is. There are still sects out there that believe this. There are still a lot of folks, especially around where I live, who believe this to this day. It still gets preached. I'm glad your interpretation isn't as narrow, but it's still fairly widespread in areas.
You are certainly correct, and unfortunately it's that type of "Christian" that drives people away. No one likes, or needs more shaming and guilt trips in their life.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chinese government tells people what they can watch on TV - by kandrathe - 10-30-2011, 03:55 AM