I'm confused about the American Republican party
(03-14-2012, 09:22 PM)Jester Wrote: Just to be clear, the views that you (and Shoju) more or less agree with include, or exclude, the one where the reason government is stalled is that Obama is an arrogant speechifier with an excessively strong agenda that he is unwilling to compromise on?

Because that's the one that's got me wondering if I live on a different planet from Mav.

-Jester

OK, I'll break my rule here. Fact is, I will note that he did make a quick decision when they went into Pakistan to eliminate a certain infamous person.

Also, yes, the Congress is as much to blame as he is for the obstrucitonism, and you notice I express my distaste for both parties. It's possible that my impression of him is still colored (I know, punny term to use for this) by the overly free use of 'racist' by his campaign in the last election, just for disagreeing with his views. So, I might not be cutting him enough slack now.

To me, calling people 'racist' just for disagreement, and letting the practice go on in his campaign, pretty much made him un-Presidential in my eyes. If you're going to be the first minority President, step up and show the way, don't hide behind your minority status. Make up your mind. Do you want equality, or privileged status forever? I'd prefer that everyone ignore skin color, because people are people regardless, but, that's not the way people think, it seems. HIs campaign made a particular issue of it.

So, yeah, I might not be particularly charitable to him. You may not agree with me, but I've presented my reasons.

Edit: And I'm not talking about actual racist things said and done. Call them out, definitely. But don't call people racist because they oppose your pet policies.
--Mav

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by Mavfin - 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM