I'm confused about the American Republican party
(03-30-2012, 09:55 PM)Mavfin Wrote: My comment on the gun control issue is that if it's truly as important and popular with the general public as some insist, then they should get the votes together to repeal the 2nd Amendment. After that they're free to make whatever laws they want to take away all the guns, UK-style.

It's widely believed that guns are taboo in Canada, but I think we just take a more pragmatic approach on it. "Long guns" are completely legal and not prohibited. A "Long gun" is basically defined as a shotgun or rifle. I know lots of people in rural areas that own these for hunting and wildlife control. I'd buy a rifle or shotgun if I lived outside of the city.

Handguns are restricted to those that have an appropriate license. Hunting with these is illegal. I don't know anyone who owns one of these and is not a member of the police, the military, a sport shooter, or a collector. I've never heard anyone claim they own a handgun for self-defense. It seems to me that a shotgun would be a better gun for self-defense, but I'm no gun expert.

Fully automatic guns, sawed-off shotguns, guns with silencers, and basically all the scary guns - are completely illegal.

So I could walk into a gun store in Canada (we have these) tomorrow and walk out with a shotgun or rifle, legally. I could also apply for a handgun license and in a relatively short amount of time legally purchase a handgun.

I cannot legally own a AK-47 or Bazooka. My government is trampling my rights Angry

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by DeeBye - 03-31-2012, 03:22 AM