Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
I agree that healing for the barbarian is limited. Revenge + lots of armor and vit is very easy and the other healing options come later in the 50s or just suck or both.

Ancient spear + dread spear rune sucked when I tried it against NM Diablo. The tooltip says its healing is based on weapon damage which is far inferior to the % of your health heal of revenge. Its available at 32.

Overpower + Revel rune comes at 59 and looks like it would be just like revenge but reliable and with a cooldown.

Furious charge + dreadnought rune that heals you for each monster you hit comes later in the 50s sadly. I've heard its great though since you get healed on a % of your health and it can help you get out of being surrounded.

Frenzy with Triumph is alright for helping you regen but its not a burst heal that can keep up with massive damage. Its good for the revenge build as it may put you over the line where you can survive to continue revenging. It comes at 22.

Rend with bloodlust is okay. I've used it a few times but haven't noticed too much of an effect. 9% of 210% weapon damage is ~18.9% weapon damage as lifesteal. You might want to try this one out although it sucks to be in melee range to have to cast this. Its earned at 19.

Whirlwind with blood funnel can make an interesting build. You need lots of crit and lots of incomign damage to increase fury generation or other skills like battle shout with fury on crit. I've heard this works pretty well in inferno since you take so much damage you'll gets tons of fury to fuel the whirlwind. You can use it starting at 37.

Ignore pain with Ignorance is bliss rune gives you 20% lifesteal for 5 seconds in addition to 65% damage reduction. You can spec it at 36.

There's some options for getting more life but nothing like revenge. Revenge has no cooldown which helps so much. It scales with incoming damage( the more monsters hitting you the more revenges you can use). And it deals a ton of damage. I hope blizz nerfs it and buffs some of the other lifesteal skills because it is pretty much mandatory in hell and beyond. Revenge with the rune that increases critical strike for a short time is the most popular rune effect for inferno barbs btw.
-Ell_man

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by Ell_man - 05-31-2012, 05:00 AM