Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
Well, it was largely tile-based because it had been developed under the intent of being turn-based. But I can see your point. I can also see why they moved away from it, though. The movement feels clunky that way, slow, jointed. Like you're playing a game with marionettes. It feels more natural to move in a D2/D3 way, where you can circle or jag at a moment's notice. It's a different set of tactics, but yeah.

I've seen a few videos of D3 and everything I see is wide open spaces or large hallways. I don't see tactically useful terrain hardly anywhere - narrow halls, doorways, differing elevations. Very little of any use for splitting enemy forces or even fighting with a rock or tree at one's back to cut down missile fire from 60 degrees or so. I'm not sure if I'm just seeing videos like that because they're more exciting, or because there's very little tactical terrain to go around. If the latter, was that a design oversight, or does Blizzard not want people using tactics other than what skills Blizzard themselves give us?

Between online only play, their statistic gathering, the way the AH has pretty much total control over trade...D3 has a very Big Brother feel to it. Is that just me?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by ViralSpiral - 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM