Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
I made it to hell with a melee character (monk) without knowing that stacking mantras or that cyclone thingy. I didn't know there was such a thing as an elective mode and it didn't seem too bad in act 1 hell in multiplayer games. Granted I'm killing a bit slow in these games, but my dps on my weapon is 185.

In any case, it's not just about HP. Resist (that includes physical resist) and defense also serves as damage reduction. 17k seems awfully low though. That was hardly enough for nightmare. My wizard friend has 40k... and can tank. I really don't think extremely low health and using a 2 hander is an argument for making melee not viable. It's more of an mathematical argument that such an arrangement leads to failure.

On the other hand, certain boss combinations make the game feel like the difficulty is too inconsistent, and not fun. The other problem are that monsters are way stronger in party games and don't give enough to compensate for it. The drops suck so badly that there's no point in trying to kill these guys.

However, I think inferno will be probably the most broken one. But that's for all classes without AH'd gear.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by Archon_Wing - 05-31-2012, 11:48 PM