Ohio miners forced to attend Romney rally without pay...
(09-10-2012, 02:39 AM)shoju Wrote: Considering that Ohio is one of the states where At Will firing is still very much a thing, Yes. It's an empty threat.

Don't like the way you walk into work? Fired
Don't like the shirt color you wear? Fired
Don't like your political affiliations? Fired

and they just have to give a reason that isn't against the law. "Not performing to expectations" is vague enough that it covers.

I believe you entirely. But that seems to make my point, not yours. Isn't this threat extremely credible? They tell you the rally is mandatory. You don't show up. They notice. Then they fire your ass on some flimsy excuse, or no excuse at all - downsizing being very common. That's not an empty threat. That's the opposite of an empty threat.

Quote:Does it make me care? Not until someone actually gets fired for not showing up. Sorry, I just don't. I see all kinds of incredibly terrible things within employment in this state, and in my own position.

I'm confused. You say it's terrible, but you don't care unless someone is fired? Part of the problem of crappy employment law is that it lets employers walk all over their employees, which they go along with out of fear of losing their job. That doesn't make it right. That actually seems to make it extra-wrong.

Quote:Until then? They have a job. Their bosses are terrible. I'm not surprised, or appalled. It's one of the things that needs changed in the states employment laws.

I'm not sure I understand your position. You're hard-boiled cynical about it, which seems very reasonable, and seem to think this is a travesty, which it is... and therefore, you don't care, doesn't matter, what's the big deal? I can't put those two things together. If you're telling me the system is screwed up, and employers can abuse it? I agree entirely. If you're telling me that it doesn't matter? I don't see why not.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ohio miners forced to attend Romney rally without pay... - by Jester - 09-10-2012, 05:47 AM