Just when I was thinking of selling my T-34
(01-19-2013, 02:21 AM)Jester Wrote: Canada shares the world's longest undefended border with the United States. The US has a serious problem with legally purchased firearms (mostly handguns) being stolen and flooding the black market, and those guns find their way over borders.
The figures I've seen vary from 200,000 to 600,000 guns are estimated to be stolen -- then, what percentage of those flow north or south? I'd guess that 90% of stolen guns stay here in the US, and of the remaining 10%, most head south rather than north. So, maybe between 5,000 and 15,000 guns go into Canada, from a US gun census of 250-300 million guns. Also, the study you linked was from 2009 citing a murder rate of 5.7 for the US (the entire US), where as the FBI is showing that the rate was 5.0 in 2009, and has fallen to 4.7 in 2011. It has been steadily falling for a decade. Then, if you compare the murder rate of Canada (which this source says is at an all time low of 1.62) to the states that border Canada, you'd see similar rates. Maine 2.0, New Hampshire 1.3, Vermont 1.3, North Dakota 3.5 (was 1.5 last year) -- maybe a side effect of the oil boom, Minnesota, 1.4, Montana 2.8 -- Ergo, the states with large urban populations have the highest murder rates.

Quote:So, no. This does affect other countries, including one of mine. I'll accept "keep your nose out of our business" the day the US succeeds in keeping guns from crossing the border.
Well, we're neighbors. I think Canada gets a raw deal most of the time from the US. And, um, thanks for sending down all the BC bud. But, we also need to worry about people like Ahmed Ressam and relative safe haven Canada has become for those that would come south to do mayhem.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just when I was thinking of selling my T-34 - by kandrathe - 01-19-2013, 09:13 AM