Citizen's United II - the other foot
(08-07-2013, 11:01 PM)Jester Wrote: Now, to put all your support behind changing the rules, then howl with misery when your opponents follow the new rules? That's hypocritical.
And, vice versa, which is all I'm saying. In fact, its also irony when powerful advocacy who reject CU are using funds by big money liberals, like the Ford Foundation, which are enabled by CU.

Some one who is consistent in their beliefs, does not blow with the wind. If clubbing baby seals is legal, I'm still against it, even when doing so might further my fight against it. Or, equally hypocritical would be driving through Obamacare with an amendment requiring all Congressional staff to equally participate, then getting a Presidential waiver for Congressional Staff who would need to surrender their Cadillac health care plans. Or, say by demanding Russia (with whom we don't have an extradition treaty) extradite Edward Snowden, while refusing to extradite Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada to Bolivia, or the CIA agents who illegally snatched the Islamic Cleric from Milan, with whom we do have extraditions treaties.

For the most powerful government on the planet, laws become inconvenient and often ignored when it is applied to the them. The CU decision really just made legal and open, what was being done surreptitiously. But, I'm not one who argues from the position of "If illegal things are going to be done anyway, then we might as well legalize it" Which I hear to justify everything from campaign finance, to drugs, etcetera. At some point, we need to have scruples, morality, and principles upon which we determine we will not just capitulate. Maybe that would be selling organs, or children, or enslaving people. There is some need for scruples in even the most liberal of thinking. I'm fully in support of any campaign financing reform that will enhance "the power of the people" over the power of money, if it can be done with respect to expected civil liberties such as freedom of speech, assembly, and free association. Of course, the more egregious money in our politics happens after the election, with quid pro quo corruption, kick backs, and the like.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Citizen's United II - the other foot - by kandrathe - 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM