Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it?
(10-31-2013, 05:27 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 06:15 PM)eppie Wrote: Now very important; the total CO2 production of eating 100 grams of meat.
Fish probably are less intelligent etc than pigs, but fishery costs an enormous amount of energy compared to what you get out of it when eating.
Using edibles for feeding animals instead of directly consuming them etc.
Health, in the first world most people eat more meat than is healthy (be it just because of fat and cholesterol or because of hormones and pollutants).
The consumption of endangered species.

Doesn't vegan also produce CO2? Doesn't it very much matter what the cow eats, as opposed to what the Vegan eats. How much CO2 in the way of fertilizer, tractor gas, human labor, pesticides, etc. were used in making bean curd, or soy milk? If the cow is range fed, rather than grain fed, does that count. If you don't have range, well then, the next best choice is to understand the total cost of your cow feed.

I'd say the real question is ALL human production/consumption activity which is oblivious to carbon production and energy consumption.

I've said it before... We could pretend to be eco-friendly by getting a new Prius, or SUV hybrid, and ordering the tofu dish at the local haut cuisine eatery. But, you'd save more resources if you get a reasonably priced used gas only car, and opt to telecommute 1 day per week. We save by maintaining productivity, and not consuming. Likewise, you could do much by just choosing to skip meat eating one day per week (except for the bacon), or choose one day a week to be a low calorie - fasting day. But, only if you are only resting and not working, or exercising that day.

Of course the things you mention are important but it is pretty much accepted a vegetarian lifestyle is a lot more eco-friendly than a comparable meat eating lifestyle. Comparable i write because you should of course not compare a careful meat -eater with a vegetarian who only eats at Michelin starred places.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it? - by eppie - 10-31-2013, 05:43 PM