Goodbye internet, whatever did we do without you?
(04-29-2014, 03:05 AM)Taem Wrote: I'm a little more than curious to see what a paid Google internet connection has to offer in the coming years at 2tb per second connection speeds. I'm willing to bet there won't be any tie-downs with Google, however I can almost 100% guarantee advertising will find its way into the system.

The Google Fibre Project? Yeah I'm following that with interest as well.

It's a safe bet to make regarding advertising. That kind of big data and meta data is simply too delicious of a temptation to pass up. They may not show up in the usual way, but they definitely want to be in that space for sure.

Quote:Based on this notion, I'm equally curious to see how the other cable companies adapt when Google starts taking over offering net neutrality to all companies and the small guys, assuming this is their motto, which they've said it is thus far.

Well so far from what I've seen, some of these cable companies are still trying to figure out why more people are abandoning their traditional subscriptions plans.

Considering that the 2 major TV monopoly in my area also owns the phone line\DSL and Cable infrastructure, and also owns tv channels and other media, I'm increasingly loathed to support them directly with my bucks.

Shiva forbid, some of these overgrown dinosaurs dream will come true. The 'Net, becomes their old TV model. Personally, all I can say is a disgusted 'ugh..' to that idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goodbye internet, whatever did we do without you? - by Hammerskjold - 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM