US Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage
(07-13-2015, 11:46 AM)Jester Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 06:25 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: The current polling data, which I believe kandrathe linked, even shows that the opinion on this is significantly different between age groups. As salty old people die off the subsequent generations just won't care.

That's correct, but it's not the most important factor. Demographic change is a smaller part of the increasing acceptance of same-sex marriage than people changing their views.

-Jester

Heh, I never said why subsequent generations wouldn't care and took for granted it was for obvious reasons. The rapid change in LGBT acceptance is nail-on-head, as the article elaborates with some examples. (I've always been somewhat skeptical about the media portrayal claim due to my general displeasure with LGBT portrayal in media.) If LGBT acceptance could've snaked its tendrils into the older generations, change would've happened even faster. But it couldn't. It's been yet another demonstration of the sad fact that many of us can't develop empathy for someone in an out-group unless we have a real, live physical example in our lives.

It really makes me reflect on how coming out to your parents is usually a given. Most gay people do it. But coming out to your grandparents? Nearly everyone I know says the same thing: "They're old. I'm going to spare them." (The set of grandparents that I knew had dementia, so the point was moot.) We tend to view the elderly as chiseled from stone and exempt from having to cope with something so uncomfortable. It probably really underestimates them. I am REALLY interested in seeing how gay marriage will change that.

Hammerskjold Wrote:Anyhow before the discussion derailment attempt via tantrum happened, there was a good point you mentioned with the 14th amendment. We've discussed this previous and it has been brought up in other threads, but 14th also happened to be used to give corporations it's legal personhood.

The one thing I've never understood is that if corporations are people then would denying a start-up business loan be the equivalent of contraception or an abortion? And I feel like Hobby Lobby would get upset if I asked them.

And, erf, yeah! I did let my inbox fill up with all those notes we pass about when senpai will notice us, desu~

-Lemmy-chan

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage - by LemmingofGlory - 07-15-2015, 12:35 AM