Awesome Games Done Quick 2016
(01-16-2016, 09:15 AM)Nystul Wrote: It's clearly a glitch run (or cheating, as we used to call it :p), but it's not so different from power gaming through Diablo either. I remember certain players who timed Laz runs back in the day. The last 2 minutes of this run would be like their games. They didn't dupe gold, but had plenty of gold from the last run. They didn't have "low hp", but could still blind teleport into any room without getting stunlocked due to equipment or character level. They spend hours teleporting from staircase to staircase to get to level 15 a hundred times and try to find that golden whatever.

The true goal of games like D1 was never about speed runs or even "beating" the game IMO, but rather about power gaming. I.E, learning all the mechanics, mastering the end game (PvP, Ironman, or other variants), and ultimately building the best char(s) possible. To me, making a char like this is far more impressive (and interesting) than duping a bunch of gold and books to see how fast you can teleport to Diablo and kill him:

http://www.tristr.am/character.php?characterid=3085

That is the payoff of playing an absurd amount of hours/days/years of D1. And thats just my main rogue (and main char in general), the others are almost equally well geared but FIT is pretty over the top. Most of this stuff, naturally, was found when I least expected it rather then directly seeking it out, with a few exceptions. The perfect DZ ring of course is the one screen-shotted in the xmas thread, and is among one of those rare exceptions. I would argue though that I had just as much luck finding nice loot on dlvl 16 as @Laz, perhaps even more so.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - by Nystul - 01-13-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - by kandrathe - 01-15-2016, 06:21 PM
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - by Nystul - 01-16-2016, 09:15 AM
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - by FireIceTalon - 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM