Sweep damage in Hellfire
I've been toying around lately with some low level hellfire characters, and I'm a little concerned with the sweep damage. Hellfire has a bug so that sweep attacks do normal melee damage in three tiles at once (instead of 1/4 in adjacent tiles as intended). I think that is ridiculous, but apparently people have been playing that way for years now, so let's run with it for now.

I am wondering how high-level barbarians and bards take sweep damage into account with low-AC setups. I pick on them because generally both of those classes can't block with standard setups. Obviously, with low-AC and no blocking in hell/hell, most characters would get eaten up pretty quick - but these classes can stun-lock three enemies simultaneously. To be anything but frustrating, it seems like they would have to rely on the sweep damage. Are there many players that take that route?

The other option for barbs and bards is, of course, high-AC setups, which realistically is more like mid-AC setups. Both classes are likely to use HOS, and have no shield, which should make getting near auto-hit AC difficult. I would guess that the AC would be good against dogs, maelstorms, and low snakes, but would be found wanting vs. knights, balrogs, azure drakes, etc.

As for the monk: how effective is his blocking speed at higher levels with low-AC? Certainly the bugged sweep damage decreases his need for good blocking, but let's discount the sweep for now. How would a monk with low-AC (and no sweep dmg) compare to a low-AC warrior at high levels? Does 3-frame blocking end up in block-lock too often?

I ask because I am considering removing sweep damage for any character except a monk using a staff. The sweep damage would intentionally be 100% of his normal attack, but I would decrease his attack speed with staves from .40/.35/.30 to .50/.45/.40 (just one unit too slow to stun-lock advocate type enemies) and possibly even .05 seconds slower. The general idea is staff = slower to swing but harder to hit. His swing speed for swords would be that of staff now. C'mon... When you think of ancient warriors, how can swords NOT come to mind? Also thinking about increasing block to fast-block.

How would removing sweep-damage for the other classes affect their versatility? It would kinda be boring to be limited to high-AC plates just so you can face 3 enemies at once without getting killed every 10 minutes. At the same time it is kinda cheesy to be able to face 3 enemies with low-AC just because you can stun all three. I'm mostly concerned about the barbarian's performance, since I will not rest until I can make the bard block (probably at .15 sec) with two swords equipped. That will allow some flexibility and balance to her at least by exchanging some buggy offense for sensible defense.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!

Messages In This Thread
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by the Langolier - 09-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by Jim - 09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by Dako-ta - 09-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by LennyLen - 09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by Thenryb - 09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by Dako-ta - 09-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by Thenryb - 09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Sweep damage in Hellfire - by Jarulf - 09-29-2005, 07:05 PM