Blizzard vs. Real Money Trading (RMT)
(04-28-2012, 05:44 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: The only issue I have with it is not with the RMAH itself but the way that items drop in the game. I was disappointed to see in the great "Devil in the Details" podcast video that items drop on the ground the way they did in Diablo II. This makes me fear the old Baal runs where when Baal got to a sliver of health, suddenly everyone huddled over his body and snatched every item up that popped as fast as they could -- and the winner was the one who was the fastest clicker or perhaps had a mod or bot that helped with the looting process.

This will not be a problem. In co-op, all the loot you see drop is yours. Other people have their own drops. No one else knows what dropped for you, and you don't know what dropped for them. So, there's no more 'grabbing for loot'. The only way for that to happen is for you to pick up one of your drops and toss it back on the floor. Then it's free-for-all for the fastest clicker, but as long as you don't do that, what you see drop is yours, including gold.

Health globes are shared; i.e. they affect the whole group, no matter who grabs them. So far, even barrels and corpses drop their own loot for you, even if you don't pop them. The exception, as far as I've been able to tell is the lecterns in the Cathedral with lore books on them, you have to pop those yourself, and they drop gold, too, but, once again, no one else sees what you get.

OT thought: I'm wondering if the 'new' LFR loot model for MoP came from what they did to solve this problem in D3...

Edit: So, the effect of the RMAH on this is lessened. The main effect will be that in public games, people will most of the time keep what they pick up, and not offer to trade among the group. Friends will, though. When co-oping with friends in the beta, I tossed a weapon that I was pretty sure (I think) Roland could use as an upgrade, and he could, but until I tossed it on the floor, or offered trade, he didn't even know it existed.
--Mav

Messages In This Thread
Blizzard vs. Real Money Trading (RMT) - by Bolty - 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM
RE: Blizzard vs. Real Money Trading (RMT) - by Mavfin - 04-28-2012, 05:59 PM