Patching 1.0.2c -- potentially nerfed mob damage
(06-14-2012, 10:25 AM)RedRadical Wrote: LOL at Blizz not swallowing their pride and just lowering the boss's health. That may help melee chars out, but it does nothing for ranged, which is who IM is really a pain in the ass for.

Uh, not really. A melee is always getting hit by all minions with an Invulnerable Minion pack, with no way to reduce damage taken (you're not killing as the fight goes on). It's Soul Lashers that are harder for ranged over melee, not Invulnerable.

Regarding Wizard builds: I've seen quite a few be successful in Act 1 Inferno, at the appropriate gear level (not over geared, which just favors pure DPS).

1) Blizzard/Venom Hydra. The classic kite build, and probably the most common. Best defensive options are Mirror Image / Teleport / Illusionist. Add a burn skill in. I've seen:
Ray of Frost - If single target DPS is your weakness.
Disintegrate - If you have some defense, can take a hit or two, and want pure AoE DPS. Bonus: pierces invul/shield. I love having a helm with -AP cost. This is what I'm typically running.
Arcane Orb - Stutter step casting. Tap the Source (Arcane Orb is too expensive!) or the piercing rune.
Shock Pulse - Piercing Orb - another piercing attack, this one with no AP cost.

The beams work best with a 2H in my experience (resource cost), Arcane Orb can go either way, Shock Pulse wants a 1H.

2) Temporal Flux build. Basically the same as above, but drop Blizzard (probably for Magic Weapon), add Temporal Flux as a passive, and use either Disintegrate or Arcane Orb with a built in snare. I think you need a bit more gear to pull this off, as kiting isn't as easy.

3) Another variation of above drops Illusionist and Mirror Image. You gain Diamond Skin and another passive. Less kitable, but more durable.

4) The hilarious build: Spectral Blade. Yes, you heard right, Spectral Blade. 1H+Source/Shield (Depending on your defenses). The 1H must have Life on Hit, and getting it elsewhere is a help as well. You spec Spectral Blade + Deep Cuts and Meteor (I tried Meteor Shower, but Star Pact seems better). These are your skills because they have a decent coefficient for LoH (unlike most Wizard spells). Deep Cuts allows for more Critical Mass procs. Then your defensives are Stone Skin, then Slow Time or Frost Nova. Add in Magic Weapon for DPS. Hydra for more DPS or another defensive for more survivability.

Yes, a melee Wizard build exists. And it works. Some packs were made more difficult than a kite build, but others I just stood there and took it. It mostly just requires a different gear set (since LoH is so bad for other Wizard builds but so good for this one). I got a cheap blue Source with +Spectral Blade damage to try out some more, but haven't gotten to test it yet.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patching 1.0.2c -- potentially nerfed mob damage - by Quark - 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM