Open letter to Blizzard...
(07-04-2012, 04:04 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: I have created a letter to Blizzard stating my issues with the game. If anyone is interested in the wall of text, it can be found here.

I read that, and I disagree with about 90% of it.

I'm coming to the conclusion that my expectations and wants for the game are completely different from many here. So be it.

I shouldn't be surprised by that. Bolty and a few others extolled the virtues of perhaps an infinite dungeon like Torchlight had, which is a concept that bores me to tears. Torchlight itself, while fun for a few playthroughs and definitely worth the money I paid for it ($14.99, I think?), is something that was too boring after that to touch for over eight months. Brother Laz's mod for D2 had a lot of nice stuff in it, but, again, it was built on D2's skill point system, which was horribly flawed in that if you misplaced one, you had to reroll, and, for many builds, you held points till 30 or later to use them, and that wasn't much fun, either, to me. Removing that and attribute points is one of the best things they did from D2 to D3.

I wanted a game that actually made me think while playing it, not the faceroll god-mode sweeping up items of Torchlight, and that Diablo 2 ended up as. I hated in D2 when you'd read a guide posted here, and the first thing in it was 'Use this gear' and a list of uniques and runewords. I find it funny that people who thought nothing of trading for runewords and certain uniques now complain about the AH. As I've said elsewhere, I love the multiple-affix elites. It's a minigame unto itself to me. However, I'm content to use what drops, and/or buy something on the gold AH occasionally if I just can't get it to drop, but, I usually buy the cheapest thing I can find that will fill the bill, and don't worry about 'BiS'. I got tired of *that*(BiS) minigame in WoW a long time ago. Having said that, I'm also OK with gear checks. The gear checks, once again, do not require 'BiS', just occasionally you have to trade (AH) a piece or two to pass the check, or farm, depending on how long you want to take.

I also don't buy this 'forced to use AH' meme going around. I didn't buy the 'forced to' stuff in WoW, and I don't in D3, either. It's a CHOICE, like any other, that you can make, and it's completely your decision to make, and any effects on your game experience because of AH use or non-use are yours to bear. I make a choice to use it as a last resort, but, I also know that if I buy 'the best stuff' that I'll later cause disappointment to myself in that drops to upgrade the thing I bought will be basically nonexistent. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you buy great stuff off the AH and then complain that you can't get any good drops, I feel like you did that to yourself.

To each his own, of course. Nothing personal, but I hope your vision for D3 does not come to pass.
--Mav

Messages In This Thread
Open letter to Blizzard... - by Elric of Grans - 07-04-2012, 04:04 AM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by Mavfin - 07-04-2012, 04:19 AM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by Zombie - 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by smegged - 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by ViralSpiral - 07-04-2012, 05:29 PM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by Athenau - 07-04-2012, 10:31 PM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by Yricyn - 07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by FoxBat - 07-05-2012, 03:53 AM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by Zombie - 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
RE: Open letter to Blizzard... - by Pesmerga - 07-05-2012, 12:45 PM