Micro$haft's inevitable fall from grace!
(08-27-2013, 02:58 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: It's a little more than that. In an enterprise\business setting, yeah it can be. Not simply 'typing' something, but potentially re-training your sales staff on W8 'new and improved' functions can cost a company. Either in time, IT staff, monies.

Speaking for myself, I'm currently an independent contractor. Fancypants way of saying, I'm the IT dept. Tongue

And when I use my programs on my workstation, I really don't need the OS (figuratively speaking) to be an intrusive waiter who hovers for too long and starts singing happy birthday at random and unwanted intervals.

The last thing I need is for 'Pierre' to hover, or keep interrupting my conversation with my dining companion(s), or start getting persnickety if I want more than one entree at a time.

I'm not a comp tech guru, but I can believe that under the hood W8 is actually powerful and speedy. But again, it's the execution and the control interface that I personally think needs serious work. 0-60 in a millisecond is useless to me if the dashboard layout and steering sucks.
I've been the IT department, for a fortune 500 and fortune 10 company, and yes, upgrading people is a nightmare, that's independent of the OS though. My personal experience is it took 4 years of Win7 before they were comfortable moving from XP, so they're not really the target demographic as they're locked into 32bit OS's with archaic driver support until they decide to redo "the backend" (read: $$$$$). As for the actual retraining, from having done so, Win8 isn't that different than Win7 if your staff is trained to use desktop icons or tiles instead of the start menu. If they're not, and this could have just been the spin I admit, people took it as a plus as they didn't have to open a menu since they could launch whatever from the desktop.

I'm drawing a blank on the waiter reference, because the OS in this case is not in my way, it's barely visible, and it's more than .6ms faster for daily tasks, let alone intensive ones.

As for the driver problems, that would have been a dealbreaker for me also. That's part of the reason I never installed Win7 at home. It's not like Win8 had to be the OS for everyone and a legitimate argument could be made that I'm on the wrong side of tick-tock, as I used Vista SP2 for years and enjoyed it, disdained Win7 for driver problems and unneeded for what I did. Big Grin
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.

Messages In This Thread
The hulk was exposed! - by Taem - 07-04-2013, 01:14 AM
RE: Micro$haft's inevitable fall from grace! - by Frag - 08-28-2013, 12:55 AM