So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it)
Just one slight nitpick.

Quote:Next, you would be hard pressed to find any evidence of the Catholic Church directly committing "genocide, despotism, slavery, oppression, and various other crimes against humanity.

As long as you look from the 12th century onward, Yes. I would agree, that as time has gone on, the church has become less "terrible" about these things, but their history, even in a Post AD Historical Timeline, one could make a definitive argument that the Crusades, were in fact, the very epitome of many of the aforementioned atrocities.

I would also debate that
Quote:My main problems with Christianity, and all religion as whole, are that it pacifies and divides us
Isn't necessarily true either. Christianity has it's fair share of wars fought in it's name, Their God, even more wars fought in his name. Then you have the terrorism, murders, violence, that range from the Crusades, to Modern Extremist Terrorism, Ireland/England, The Abortion clinic/dr murders, racism, slavery, and on and on, that have all been done either "In God's Name", or "because the word of God says so", or "because the word of god claims it right and just".

While I would 100% agree that Religion, and Sectarianism only further serve to divide humanity, I don't believe that it has done much to pacify anyone. Not when, in the 21st century, we still have Pastors that would advocate high voltage fenced death camps for those who live a life they don't agree with, Pastors advocating violence towards your gay child, Pastor's who thought they could rape the gay away.

I could go on, but really, that's just piling on for the sake of making them look bad. If I were going to do that, I'd feel the need to start going through each denomination, and then each Abrahamic religion sect in the US, and showing the ugly side of all of them, and I'm just not looking to bash religion, just make the point that they aren't doing a good job of teaching pacification.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
RE: So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it) - by shoju - 12-04-2013, 08:16 PM