EA, Dungeon Keeper 2, £79.99 microtransactions {boggle}
Being a big fan of Bullfrogs original Dungeon Keeper, I was hopeful for the IOS/Android version EA was hyping; Until I read some reviews, and heard about it. Then again, I was a bit fearful of what EA might do, being that they are generally considered to be the worst company in the US.

Worse, as a parent, most of these micro-transaction games become an exercise in disappointing my children who get to a certain point in the "free" game and discover that the only way forward costs money, or endless hours of farming old content, or just waiting for days or weeks. Plus, often, there is no way to pay a reasonable one-time fee to become a "premium" player and avoid the death by a thousand micro transactions. Needless to say, in my house we've had to ensure that any subscription service we have does not keep any default credit card info to prevent my kids from secretly buying DLC, or game credits, etc.

I fear the micro-transaction model is more designed and targeted at the naive, rubes, and suckers. Sometimes, it is done correctly. Such as what I saw in in DDO, or in POE.

I think I'll just go with the old model, where you pay $6-$30 one time. As well as, either wait for the >$30 games to get older, or go on sale.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
EA, Dungeon Keeper 2, £79.99 microtransactions {boggle} - by kandrathe - 02-03-2014, 04:05 PM