US Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage
(07-02-2015, 02:50 AM)Taem Wrote: Interesting theory; I feel like you're implying that those who whole-heatedly disagree with gay marriage might secretly be toying with the idea of homosexuality themselves.

I was thinking more recurrent condemnations of it in church sermons, for instance. If the thinking becomes part of an identity ("I am X, and X do not accept homosexuality"), the objection is even more in-grained.

Quote:The reason I feel that this so is, according to your logic, those who "despise" gay marriage must loathe it due to constantly thinking about it [via your comment @something nipping at the heels] nodding to an internal struggle of said individual. Following this line of logic, what could cause someone to think so deeply about said subject unless they were either being constantly harassed by an aggressive homosexual (unlikely), or they harbored similar desires that they could not accept, thus grew to hate it as a way of protecting themselves from it. Of course, I could also be reading too deeply between the lines here, but I can see no other outcome of the situation you present that would cause the same amount of vitriol as per your hypothesis.

The thing is, it's not always vitriol. Opposition is often disturbingly calm, and perhaps doesn't rise to the level of "despise" (hence my use of "butthurt"). It's often just a very insistent conviction. For instance! This video seems to take the approach of turning a simple position into an identity: "This is who I am." It's disingenuous in the extreme, and encouraging the development of identities around opinions is toxic, which is why this idiotic video has already been delightfully parodied.

-Lem

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage - by LemmingofGlory - 07-02-2015, 05:02 AM