Question about reverting Windows 10 back to 8.1
Guess what, I just solved my major problem with Windows 10!

After I built this Windows 10 machine I added it to my network of a Windows 7 Professional client and a Windows NT 4.0 server. The original two computer network is described here:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-16162.html

To accommodate the third machine I had to add an old router, serving as a simple switch. Eventually I may replace the router with a proper switch so I can go back to using jumbo frames, which the router does not support.

But all was not perfect. All three machines could ping each other. The NT server could access shares on the Windows 7 machine and on the Windows 10 machine. The Windows 7 machine could access shares on the NT server and on the Windows 10 machine. The Windows 10 machine could access shares on the Windows 7 machine. But the Windows 10 machine could not access anything on the NT server.

I spent much time with this initially but I was just beating my head against a wall. I put the problem aside for several weeks.

Today I made it my project to try to get this sorted out. Because it seemed to be more of a security issue than a problem with network connectivity, I focused on reading up on security.

It turned out the issue was with NT Lan Manager (NTLM) security.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NT_LAN_Manager

The workaround was to go into group policy, local security policy, network security: LAN Manager authentication level, and select "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated".

While this worked fine, I thought it would be better if I could enable higher security. I went into the NT registry and enabled NTLMv2 and disabled LM and NTLM. I changed the Windows 10 security policy to use only NTLMv2.

Now to reboot and see what happens...

Edit: I couldn't get NTLMv2 to work. I disabled LM and am using NTLM. All three computers can see each other. This network does not connect to the internet so I hope security is not that big an issue.

Now if I can only figure out how to arrange the Windows 10 desktop icons so they will stay put the way I want them.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question about reverting Windows 10 back to 8.1 - by LavCat - 04-23-2016, 09:48 PM