Article: "How a Diablo expansion led to behind the scenes trouble"
(07-06-2018, 06:23 PM)Jarulf Wrote: One thing I noted reading through it, regards the Barbarian. From the quotes it seems to imply that the Barbarian was there already from the initial release. That was not correct. It was part of early design but for the release, the only extra character one could unlock was the Bard.

However, with the patch, the Barbarian was added. I believe the patch was actually additional wood on the fire (can one say so in English?). There were things in the initial release like the multiplayer that, as described in the text did not go so well with Blizzard, and then came the patch that, although removing multiplayer from the command.txt, kept everything in the executable making it trivial activating it with a simple code change (a modified hellfrui.dll was the common method I believe) so it was not really as removed as had been demanded. And on top of that the patch in addition added the Barbarian through command.txt, which as described was a big no-no as it was to be a class in the upcoming Diablo 2.

I remember this as in a later discussion, it was touched on the "tradition" to add a new hidden test character in each patch and had there ever been a second patch, there would have been one for the sorcerer. I remember discussing ideas of a "Blood Wizard" with some interesting new properties and abilities. Alas, it never became anything real.... Sad

Oh well, old memories. Seems to happen a lot of Diablo related things lately.

"Wood on the fire" = "Fuel to the flames" in American english usually. Blood wizard sounds interesting

Messages In This Thread
RE: Article: "How a Diablo expansion led to behind the scenes trouble" - by GhastMaster - 07-07-2018, 02:13 PM