On the way out (and taking out some garbage)
So, how to say it? I haven't even told my family, except one son. I've been given a diagnosis, and the internet says my 50% prognosis is four years. That kind of stung at first. I wanted to live forever, so that maybe I could see the universe, or multiverse, explained better. I am also curious whether my progeny will ever have any of their own.

It's not like I would not have been going at any moment through some other means, like a heart attack or stroke or annoyed spouse. This is just more visible, less surprise involved. And that does make a difference; for instance, the bucket list is now a real thing.

My spouse will be fine; she's wanted to be on her own for a while now. My kids, well, that pains me. I think they genuinely like my company and will miss me. My youngest, especially, will need guidance, but he just cannot bear dealing with his mom. My mother is still living, and I hope she goes right before I do, so my passing won't harm her.

So, I've decided I will be positive. I have a rough deadline (hah!) so I need to prioritize. What do I want the time left to be? Unfortunately, my kids still require $$$ to get going on their own, two of my kids just started college this year. So I will need to keep working another 4 years, or as long as I can. So my "me" experiences will just be during vacations and weekends. I may ponder those in a later post.

For now, though, I wish to thank everyone for all the discussion and reading. There are too many of you to single out. However, I wish to thank Bolty yet again for enabling a (better) version of the good ol' DSF to continue. There were other places but they've sputtered out. I want to thank all the members of AoH, wish I could have met more of you. (I only ever met Puff.) Thanks everyone who encouraged my silly jests and also put up with my various soapboxes. Also thanks to those of you who challenged me, making me re-examine or better understand my views. (... but you're still wrong! ... well, except that medical guy from ?Germany? his name started with an R i think -- I think he was in AoH too -- anyway, he was right!)

Why am I posting this here? One thing is, I eschew FB and tweets and all those things like that. I never trusted Mark Z. from the beginning. Yes, I am an old crank. Yet I need an outlet, so here I am. Another thing, I really think people here should have the courtesy to tell everyone they Going Out, don't just disappear! Three, there's hardly anyone here these days, so I can tell myself that I'm not seeking attention, because it's a very small group here.

So, if anyone is here -- what would you put on a 4-year bucket list??

Messages In This Thread
On the way out (and taking out some garbage) - by Vandiablo - 10-11-2022, 01:56 AM