Thoughts on how to improve the current system
(12-27-2011, 10:49 PM)Jester Wrote: From what I understand, sexual slavery is actually quite rare. While something so abhorrent should be dealt with, the idea that it constitutes a large-scale problem is, from what I understand, mostly a moral panic. Many sex workers illegally move across borders, and many work for illegal organizations, but this is distinct from slavery - and a problem that would be almost entirely eliminated by open borders and a legal sex trade.

Do we have numbers to back up a claim that it is "rampant"?

"The most cited statistics on trafficking come from the U.S. State Department's annual reports on trafficking in persons. According to the 2005 report, 600,000 to 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders each year, with 14,500 to 17,500 trafficked into the U.S. The report does not provide data on sexual exploitation specifically; the numbers include people trafficked for any sort of forced labor." PBS - Frontline

Quote:As for the claim that a one-world government might increase disparity, I disagree. There is no single policy that the world could adopt that would do more to reduce global inequality than open borders. Add in a tariff-free world, and inter-region inequality would drop dramatically. The effect on social inequality is ambiguous, but it would have to come from the richest getting richer, because the world has about 1 billion people who are as poor as it gets - it is their fate that is most important, and they would certainly gain income.
Ok, I agree with that part, but this does not require a one-world government. Only global free trade agreements, and the freedom to move (with or without a passport/visa). I think factors that contribute to the ability to enslave a person include criminal enterprises, and the cultural/economic/language barriers faced by the victims.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts on how to improve the current system - by kandrathe - 12-28-2011, 04:18 AM