How does act3 mages fare in 1.10?
Increased hireling Life/attack rating/defense/level. Also removed the skill cap from Act III hirelings. (Hireling level at hiring is now different between DII classic and LoD.)

If i remember right from the stats of hirelings in 1.09, those hired in normal could attain their max ability at lvl 55. Which would be skill lvl 18 for their abilities. Which would ramp up by 1 every 5 levels. But with it gone, they can potentially have much more damaging skills, but does it hold up at all? If we have a lvl 98 char. He would potentially have just lvl 26 to both skills. Which makes me wonder why blizzard put in a cap on merc skills as they rise so slowly, and it will be rare for a player to get to 99 now. And spending time on leveling up their merc. Its not like a lvl 26 glacial spike is going to do astounding damage in hell unless they gain rapid damage escalation. Its not like they have synergies to boost their power or what?
to summarize: Act 2 mercs are still far superior to everything else

DAMN YOU BLIZZARD
Wrathraven,Jul 26 2003, 11:53 PM Wrote:to summarize: Act 2 mercs are still far superior to everything else

DAMN YOU BLIZZARD
Seconded, giving act 2 merc paladin auras was a BAD move, I prefer them losing their auras and getting some unique skills
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
no, I'd rather have the other mercs boosted. Give Rogues slightly better dmg and something like Slow Missiles (with all the ranged attackers now in Act 5, this would be a godsend), give the Act 3 Fire/Cold/Lightning mercs additional skills like Meteor, permanent Glacial Spike (like vanilla Cold Mercs), Chain Lightning, etc., and give the Barb mercs some warcries. I'm for having other mercs be worthy, not nerfing the only good ones
Wrathraven,Jul 27 2003, 04:45 AM Wrote:and give the Barb mercs some warcries.
Hellz no. =O)

They're not going to give barb mercs bo or bc, and my barb merc is stupid enough just swinging his sword without trying to manipulate enemy ai.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
doesn't have to be BO (though I don't see why BC is out of a question, +1 skills is nothing), and there's always Shout, and the crowd-control cries
LucianDK,Jul 27 2003, 09:09 AM Wrote:If i remember right from the stats of hirelings in 1.09, those hired in normal could attain their max ability at lvl 55. Which would be skill lvl 18 for their abilities. Which would ramp up by 1 every 5 levels.
More like 3 or 4 levels. ;)

Quote:But with it gone, they can potentially have much more damaging skills, but does it hold up at all?

Having played an Avenger in Act 5 Hell, I found the Cold Iron Wolves hold up very nicely, unsurprisingly considering the governing character's maxed out Conviction. I'd Imagine a Holy Freeze Mercenary would be another nice addition to such a character, but considering a Paladin's lack of points to spend in Vitality, the Iron Wolf's freezing capability came as a fantastic blessing. His damage output was quite nice too. B)

An Iron Wolf remains an option, particularly for Conviction using Paladins and Lower Resist throwing Necromancers.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War