Poll: Well?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
19.15%
9 19.15%
No
80.85%
38 80.85%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is age a mark of maturity?
You're so far out of your league it's beyond funny.

Occhi presents his points with logic, reinforcement and a building sense of evidence. Rather impressive, considering this is an ethereal topic that can't be nailed down to a definitive (which you seem intent on proving).

You, on the other hand, when presented with the counterpoint; respond with spewed half-insults, dismissive attitude and a profound inability to correctly spell anything.

I advise you don't attempt a mathematical expression when you can't spell "coordinate".
I advise you don't attempt belittling when you can't spell "down".
I advise you don't attempt an insult when you can't spell "concisely".
I advise you don't embolden your own theories with the word "valididates" :blink:
And finally, I advise that you don't put out the statement "I'm done discussing this with you" and then proceed to reply another two times.

At least TRY to curb your pathetic state?

In your own words: "pfft". :lol:
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
I feel bad that I spell terrible, only because its a headache for other people to read. It has nothing to do with validity of my point.

Occi has been saying she/he is right for years, backing it up mainly with a mature attitude - its effective in a forum, but that doesnt make it right.

Addendum: Its odd that you think my spelling reflects so poorly on me, yet the one you champion removed entire sentences/major points in response to my showing that they were faulty concepts.

I think we should value logic and reason at a higher level than spelling when we choose sides - maybe thats just me.
I think the "misspelled" down was merely a typo, and validates might be too. Coordinates is spelled correctly, and concisely isn't exactly the easiest word to spell. And, please, try to be a little nicer to people when making a reply instead of calling them pathetic.
I notice that "At least TRY to curb your pathetic state?" isn't a question, yet you ended it with a question mark, which denotes that it is. You used a semicolon colon incorrectly (it is used to separate to related sentences, not to be used as a coma).
So, next time you wish to flame someone for making typos and a few spelling errors (and, by the way, if you read the etiquette, it explicitly states, and I quote, "...we do not mind spelling or grammatical errors...we do not mind typos from anyone either. ") make sure your post is absolutely perfect. <_<
I tend to do that with complete idiots.

Quote:I think the "misspelled" down was merely a typo, and validates might be too. Coordinates is spelled correctly, and concisely isn't exactly the easiest word to spell.

Next time double check on the corrections that were offered. My inclusions and examples were the correct spellings to offset the mistakes I was indicating. That's called Irony, genius. If you're unsure of the correct spelling, use the spellchecker, dictionary.com... or bloody ask.

Quote:I notice that "At least TRY to curb your pathetic state?" isn't a question, yet you ended it with a question mark, which denotes that it is. You used a semicolon colon incorrectly (it is used to separate to related sentences, not to be used as a coma).

It's called a rhetorical question, genius. And, indeed, my semi-colon was incorrect: it should have been a colon (as it was offering an explanation of the preceeding phrase). Shame on me for misstroking the caps lock key. But, it was to be a COLON, genius, not a "coma".

Done sticking your neck out, yet?
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Quote:I think we should value logic and reason at a higher level than spelling when we choose sides - maybe thats just me.

Logic and Reason, eh? Fascinating words and espousals from the hand that wrote these:

Quote:Im done discussing this with you - that stament is total nonsense.
Quote:That little absurdity shows that youre talking gibberish rather consicely.(If you think that makes sense go find a smart person in RL to explain it to you)
Quote:I really should have to break this down to such a lvl for you Occi.

Since when are veiled insults and outright sanctimony the bedfellow of "Logic and Reason"?

I reiterate: Pathetic.
Garnered Wisdom --

Excuse me for butting in here ;).

To Ghostinger - I believe that you are trying to oversimplify and overdefine things, and thus leading to inconclusive or (IMO) incorrect results. By attempting to use geometric proofs in any way on the human psyche will inherently be flawed in at least some cases, and therefor is incorrect to use as a conjecture about anything specific. Then by attempting to show a human as a geometric shape you also fail to take into account the definite fact that while age does have a tendency to effect maturity, it doesn't entirely. I can almost guarantee than anyone over the age of 30 is more mature than I, at the young age of 15. The problem arises because we are attempting to use mathematics to explain things that cannot be explained logically, similar to emotions. You can't explain it in these terms because these terms are too general and fail to take into account the specifics.

The human species as a whole may fit into your geometric equation, if the specifics of each person were averaged together into that single figure but to pick a single person out of the crowd and that single person will likely be outside one of your parameters. We aren't prisms, nor spheres, we have no 'properties' which apply to us. We are humans capable of detailed thought as well as the ability to change our minds and ourselves. As such I believe no mathematical equation can completely justify, and predict the actions of a single human being though it may be able to show the trends that exist within the human society as a whole.

-Baylan

P.S. About the whole "My 0.02 cents" I saw it, but didn't believe it was worthy of an edit... So shut it :-p

Edit: Stupidity + Needing to go to Sleep + Not using preview post button usually = some incoherentness.
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
this poll is too closed for the question being asked. I know other people have said it, but it's just my
[(3*2) / (432 / 144)]X where X = .01
dollars
Age is not a "mark" of maturity to me. To me, a person's age merely represents a cumulative chance that he is mature (a process which I think has many grey stages leading to an eventual, fully mature state, which some never reach).

People mature at different rates, and besides, which type of maturity are you speaking of? Physical? Sexual? Intellectual? Emotional? Social? I matured intellectually first, then sexually, then physically, then emotionally, and social maturity was last (and I don't think I'm done with the last two processes =P). For other people, it goes in different orders.

I see age as more of a milestone that indicates that, since x amount of time has gone by, there is an average y chance that the person is mature to z degree. It would take an expert psychiatrist / sociologist / M.D. to tell you the exact values of y and z for each x of each maturity scale, though.

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Since this subject doesn't merit discussion, why have you made seven replies? :P
Quote:"Age doesn't always bring wisdom.&nbsp; Sometimes age arrives alone.

Red Green"

Found that one yesterday, and just had to tuck it into this thread somewhere. :rolleyes:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

[presets that maturity:=mental maturity, everything else is obvious]

We all know that there are kids of 12 years who can already be mature as hell.
We all know that there are adults of 45 years who behave childish and naive as hell.

Kids of that kind we call pre-mature.
Adults of that kind we call im-mature.

==> Maturity is a state of Mind. It has basically nothing to do with the Age.

==> Maturity is generally to a somewhat general frame reached when having a family and raising kids, because the responsibilities then rises rapidly.

Although I voted with NO, why does this thread grow so large? This is an attempt to put a final line.

PS: although everybody has his individual opinion, the one generally accepted by the world and culture one lives in is the one that's actually important. Whitches were burnt although some people thought that wasn't such a good idea.

FREEDOM OF THOUGHT!!!

CU, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Absolutely not, I usually hang around with people who are about two years older than me so when I was 16 I hung around with 18 year old guys usually now I'm 18 and hang around with people who are 20/21(that doesn't mean I have friends of my own age,but most of them are older than me) my reason for this because I thought my age-mates were immature. :lol: Too many prejudices,dumbness and such....
For Ghostiger:

As we still agree, the question is clumsily asked, however, if one bothers to put a modicum of effort into one's reply, one can to infer what the questioner means by 'mark.' I think Gonllguy had the right of it: mark, as in indication or flag, and "a" versus "the" per a few posts up, connotes the general sense, which Obi then confirmed a few posts later as his intended direction of inquiry.

As to the edit . . . not sure how or where we crossed posts there, nor what you are referring to, but your comment tells me that I certainly need to use the 'quote' function more often to separate what you posted from what I was contributing, and to ensure I mark what was edited. 'Twas careless of me not to, and in this case I must plead guilty to what Pete chided you for: an urgency to hit the Post button that overcame proofreading to ensure cohesive and coherent thought.

Preview is also my friend, when I bother to use it. :P

Edit: a couple of words disappeared, such as 'guilty,' so I had to put them back in.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

However, if you "feel bad that I spell terrible, only because its a headache for other people to read." then get *and use* a spell checker. Not only does it cut down on spelling errors, but often (at least for me) it gives me a pause before posting that allows me to catch other mistakes or omissions. Or, sometimes, decide to delete the whole post.

Yes, spelling is overrated. It can be done by a mere machine. So let the machine do it.

--Pete

BTW, I use ieSpell. Freeware for Internet Explorer. I can recommend it highly, it is fast and accurate and has all the necessary functions. I'm sure others can recommend plug ins for other browsers. EDIT But it missed "nd" for "and" ;)

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Insults are valid as a follow up to a logical rebutal or defense. In fact its the only time insults are valid.

You may consider it bad form. But it doesnt make my actual arguement any weaker.
Quote:Insults are valid as a follow up to a logical rebutal or defense. In fact its the only time insults are valid.

You may consider it bad form. But it doesnt make my actual arguement any weaker

The weakness of the argument lay in your own incorrect definitions, not in your tone.

I am a bit perturbed that it took me three posts to distill my initial disagreement with your logic train, and by that I refer to this.

Quote:Maturity is a measure of devopement.
Development is a a function of time.
Age is a measure of time.

And your comment on how definitions rendered the issue moot.

That is the essential point on where I disagreed with you, as we have already discussed above.

I ended up using far more words than necessary in the process of sorting through why I found that train of thought to be flawed. That means I was rushing, and not giving you and your post the benefit of a complete thought train before I hit 'post.' That was just plain sloppy, and I really do know better.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Actually I didnt use a geometric proof on "the human psyche. That would be a rather fantastic undertaking ifit achieved even the slightest useful result.

I used the proof with some rather basic definitions of words. The geomtric figure never was used to actually tell anything about a human. It was a place holder.

Honestly, your lapse in understanding here is rather large, you need to read and consider more carefully.
In order for that to be the case it would require that "maturity" be a singular state.

I suppose some people see it that way.

I dont.
Quote:I used the proof with some rather basic definitions of words. The geomtric figure never was used to actually tell anything about a human. It was a place holder.

So even you admit that your post was redundant, foolish and a waste of bandwidth. Congratulations on your personal growth.

Quote:Honestly, your lapse in understanding here is rather large, you need to read and consider more carefully.

For a fifteen-year-old, I think he put you in your place rather efficiently. Once again, when trapped in a counterpoint, you default to sanctimony and insult. Pack up and go home.
Garnered Wisdom --

Were done.

"So even you admit that your post was redundant, foolish and a waste of bandwidth. Congratulations on your personal growth."

That makes no sense.

But you are just trolling. If you had a problem with something I actually said and cared to refute it - that would be great. You are just making up "stuff" now.

Whats particularly odd is the way your posts are full of the exact items which you complain of me using.