Post your stupid deaths here.
(05-19-2012, 02:09 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 05:41 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: Ugh, those wasps in Act 2 with their flies are horrible.

No! Those are BEES that shoot smaller bees bees bees bees at you.

No, those are Hornets (which bite and sting). Big Grin

As to stupid deaths, either being reckless or just stupid combos on mobs (be it a normal mob like the Opressors in Act 4 or Champs/Mini-Bosses).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
*minor spoiler*

My first death I recall best. I just arrived in act4. in the first fight you fight a miniboss with a swarm of little thingies. I was a minion based witch doctor who just had set everything to single target dps for the act III boss. I arrived in act 4, went to the first enemy and my minions charged, then the 100 or so critters swarmed all over me with me having nothing to blast them away except killing them one by one. Suffice to say I did not last long. Smile

When I came there with my wizard, I went archon mode and blasted them all in 3 seconds. My archon timer then went to 2 minutes, so I did a good part of the first plateau in archon mode. *cackle*

----

the only time I died 3 times in a row was in a multiplayer game. We had just arrived in Nightmare at the Khazra/goatmen area. There are those huge charging beasts there. We arrived in the zone and immediately encountered;
1 champion pack of those big beast chargers with arcane and knockback.
1 elite pack of those same beasts with vampiric and extra health.

These two packs were together, so we had about 8-10 of those huge beasts constantly charging us and dropping arcane beams of doom. They would knock us back (which also slows you, opening you up for another charge from another beasty or a nice fry from the arcane beams). In the meanwhile half of that the pack was tough as nails. These things normally have a lot of health. giving them the extra health buff and making them vampiric (life gain when they damage you) was almost insulting. We circled like mad, dropping all we got at them, died time and time again, but eventually whittled them down. Damn that was painful. And I loved it. Smile
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
I died to a nasty pack with Swift Spine Hewers (or some such) in Act III NM due to one of my cats getting in front of my monitor. I died less than 60 seconds later heading just past that point due to lag freezing me in place while more of the same mob chopped me to bits. Not much you can do against 2500 damage mobs when the game refuses to accept your movement. This is why I will never play Hardcore. It's just. Not. Worth it.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(05-17-2012, 03:11 AM)DeeBye Wrote: The first time I died, it was because I was standing in a cloud of poison after killing a big tree dude. Killing the tree dude leveled me up and I was too focused on what cool new abilities I unlocked instead of the poison I was standing in.

If that was the 'Old Man' yellow tree, I did the EXACT same thing, without the excuse of having leveled up Sad. I was identifying a rare drop. Smart.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Not sure if this is stupid or not, but it feels it. I have just completed Act III/Normal and have one death to my name. Not to a boss, nor to a Champion group, not even to a mass of enemies. Three normal Heralds of Pestilence. That was all it took. Somehow, they took me from full health to dead, literally in the blink of an eye. I never knew what hit me, but three lousy enemies seems pretty pathetic when my current Massacre record is 73.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(05-17-2012, 01:56 PM)Bizono Wrote: Only non-lag monster death so far involved repeatedly standing in green fumes of death while fighting the Act II boss.

But those green fumes were so pretty!

Prediction - that Act II boss is going to fill a few hardcore character graveyards.

AKA Mine. Practically one of each class. Belial made me run whimpering back to softcore for a time to learn his tricks.
(05-19-2012, 11:27 PM)Crusader Wrote: the only time I died 3 times in a row was in a multiplayer game. We had just arrived in Nightmare at the Khazra/goatmen area. There are those huge charging beasts there. We arrived in the zone and immediately encountered;
1 champion pack of those big beast chargers with arcane and knockback.

These two packs were together, so we had about 8-10 of those huge beasts constantly charging us and dropping arcane beams of doom....

My monk died something like 4 times in a row to the same (or very similar) combination. Unlike you, I quickly decided 'fuck this', put my tail between my legs, and headed in the complete opposite direction. Big Grin
I was playing the embermage and went up some stairs to a little temple thingy. I was watching my little dog (very cute - reminds me of the little dog I had all through my teens - still miss her Sad ) doing something on another corner of the screen when swarms came out from the little temple and killed me before I even moved. At least I could rez back in town and I wasn't very far in.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I've had to ditch a follower for certain champion packs - anything with vampiric and one of the passive AoE skills (Plagued, Molten, Fire Chain). The vampiric triggers on the AoE skill, so you end up with the weakest enemy you can imagine being nigh unkillable if your follower is standing in, say, a pool of venom. No amount of DPS my monk delivered could make up for the stupid Templar standing in the AoE, blissfully unawares of the aid he was giving the enemy.

I should add that, yes, this did kill me when the little burrower things ran into a pack of fire-chained extra-fast fallen. It was not pretty.
I was playing my Barbarian together with a Wizard. I noticed I was having a very hard time staying alive, level 10 and clearing out the caves near Wortham and beyond. I ran out of health potions after the encounter with the Spider Queen, but we continued on regardless. After a while I felt i should restock on potions and was about to portal back to town to buy some, when I decided to say "you know, we're kind of low level for this". As I said this I abandoned my attempt to town portal back and followed the Wizard to an encounter. A pack of goatmen appeared with a purple boss in their midst. I leapt in.

Edit:
(My deeds will be remembered.)
I died when I thought it was clear and was browsing the skills menu. By the time I closed it, I was dead.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I was watching the cutscene for the first time you interact with the Emperor in Act 2, while at the same time a trailer for the latest Adam Sandler movie came on TV. The cutscene ended but I was so entranced by the concentrated stupidity of the trailer that I didn't notice. I got surrounded by serpents and died. Sad
(05-24-2012, 02:29 AM)RTM Wrote: I was watching the cutscene for the first time you interact with the Emperor in Act 2, while at the same time a trailer for the latest Adam Sandler movie came on TV. The cutscene ended but I was so entranced by the concentrated stupidity of the trailer that I didn't notice. I got surrounded by serpents and died. Sad

This made me laugh harder than anything else in this thread.
Quark and I dragged a level one barbarian into late Act 1 and killed him repeatedly.
(05-24-2012, 12:55 PM)Tal Wrote: Quark and I dragged a level one barbarian into late Act 1 and killed him repeatedly.

And it was glorious.

I still keep dying to those damn trees. Stop standing in their little plant things dammit!
I was playing TankBarb™ with Quark and Lissa a while ago in Nightmare difficulty. We encountered an Arcane Enchanted boss pack in a very tight space with nowhere to maneuver. I stood my ground and tanked the boss mob to give them a tiny bit of room to stand back and shoot, while sitting through an Arcane beam, and noted on Mumble that I could just stand there and tank it - woo hoo! With my newfound exuberance, I Leaped into the boss' minions, and died instantly to multiple arcane beams. I laughed a good bit at that. Quark and Lissa were nice enough not to - at least over Mumble. Smile

The key problem with Barbarians, from my limited perspective, is that either you're geared enough to be able to stand toe-to-toe with the monsters and contribute, or you're just dead weight. There are very few encounters against rare/champion packs where I'm "sorta" able to tank...it's either "I can stand here and eat what comes at me" (boring) or "I go splat instantly" (no fun). I'd prefer the sorta-tank variety.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Not too stupid, but 1st HC death lastnight. NM Act 1, was fighting in the cathedral one of those places where the stairs go down on both sides and there's a little balcony or something connecting the 2 staircases "in front" of the staircases. I cleared one side of skellies and one of the resurrectors, then was working across the narrow "balcony" to the other staircase. That side had 2 or 3 more resurrectors. I put my Hydra near the resurrectors, to whittle them down while I keep killing the skellies. Somehow a boss got woken up and his pack came down the stairs where I had cleared. Used Frost nova and diamond skin to get to a clear area to try to read their modifiers. Puddle underneath me while I'm mousing... okay desecrator... I better move... oh crap, I guess the other mod is jailor... and done.

I'm sure it was avoidable. I probably didn't NEED to burn diamond skin to get past them and back up the stairs but I did and had no cooldown when I got jailed in a puddle and they caught back up to me.

Hydra is actually pretty good at not waking monsters that aren't in range, so I'm not sure exactly how that boss pack got activated. It was lightning hydra, so no missed bolts trailing off into the distance waking up random packs, but maybe they did shoot at the pack. It's the only way I can think that I woke them. Perhaps I need to switch to using blizzard or meteor as my 'behind the lines" summoner / ranged spell.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Those damn trees. Need I say more?
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I died farming in Act I Hell on my L53 (1 bubble from 54) witch doctor.

I knew from previous play sessions that what I hated the most on him was fast + molten because of all the crap on the floor making my kiting tactics (I would often spirit walk back through the pack) trickier. I had run into a Fast + Molten + Vortex skeleton pack the other day that made life even trickier for my current build but had killed them. Well I got Fast + Molten + Vortex on some grave diggers. So they had inherent slow abilities. I engaged for a bit, realized that I wasn't getting enough damage into them and decided to leave the crypt I was in and shuffle my skills since I didn't think my blender build without more methods of slowing them was going to cut it.

I got vortexed a few times but was making progress when the stupid happened. I hit spirit walk and immediately hit my move key so that I wouldn't interact, which is standard for me, but I hiccuped, my mouse shifted, I ran the wrong way. A way covered with flames already (there wre 4 of the buggers just covering the floor with the fire). Without the the extra speed of spirit walk I had to choose to head deeper beause there was only 1 that way and 3 the other way. I wasn't running with extra slowing grasp so I used it on the three but it wasn't enough to make the blind corner that I figured was still safer. I got pulled back to the corner, which I was expecting and even with the floor covered with fire I had to spirit walk to try and get out because they were hitting me (which slows and bounces you from a grave digger) and I was in a corner. I got out, but it wasn't for long because the dummy took too much damage. Spirit Vessel popped saving me. Potion was drunk. I could see the exit, vortex pulled me back again. Spirit walk was 2 seconds from coming back up. Mass confusion was 1 second. I dropped grasp. I jammed the spirit walk key needing it as soon as I could get it.

"You have died" shows up on the screen.

It was close. I didn't disengage from what I knew to be one of the worst combos for my spec soon enough. The only regret, and it's small because I knew what I was signing up for, was that it happened while farming a bit, not while progressing. Smile

Now it's time for the 10 sided die to let me know what toon is next for the hardcore trek. Smile
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Some facts:
There is an 'enrage' timer on hardcore.
It starts in at least in hell A3.
The timer starts FROM WHEN YOU PULL THE CHAMP PACK/BOSS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU RESET IT.
Appears to take 2.5% of your HP per second.
The debuff is only on when you're 'engaged' with the enemy (~1.25 screens at 1900x1200).
You can heal during it.
It interrupts town portal.

Ergo, if you have to park something, leave it, remake, or for god's sake have a 1+ screen escape ability.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.