What has happened to the US Attorney's Office?
Over the past few years, we have seen the U.S. Attorney's Office involved in several rather High Profile cases, and lose or screw it up badly.

I'm a sports fan, so I'm reminded of the Barry Bonds Case Where they spent tons of money, and were only able to get a conviction on a single count of Obstructing Justice. A conviction that is being appealed.

Staying in the realm of sports, you have the Roger Clemens Trials. The first, handled so poorly, that it was declared a mistrial because of the attorney's mistakes, and the second, so mind numbingly boring, that 2 jurors have been excused because they fell asleep. During this trial, the Judge has constantly poked and prodded at the attorneys because of how long the case is taking, how slow they are moving.

And then, there is the Edwards Trial which wrapped up yesterday. One Acquittal, and a mistrial.

Now, I don't think that every case that the US Attorney's Office takes to court should be a slam dunk. I think that everyone should have their day in court, and be able to defend themselves. But, it is distressing that they are putting forth an incredible amount of man hours and money towards prosecuting cases that are... shaky at best it seems.

Is it just me being relatively young, (32) and not remembering other times when this happened? Or, is the US Attorney's Office failing miserably?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
It's not just at the federal level. Prosecutor over-reach seems rampant. It must have something to do with promotions... Those cases were pushed forward due to political, rather than legal reasons. Edwards clearly did stuff wrong, at least ethically, and morally. What is/was really, really vague is whether he actually violated the campaign laws. Probably because the laws were written by politicians, who like the laws to be really, really vague when they apply to politicians.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-01-2012, 09:08 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Those cases were pushed forward due to political, rather than legal reasons.

That's the cause of most of this. If you don't have solid cases, or don't have them ready, don't go to court. Someone in the Administration wanted them pushed, so they were anyway. And this is the result.
--Mav
It's frustrating to sit and watch. I'm not one who is normally going to say "Stop spending my tax money on that!" because I just don't keep up on any single "current event" enough to have a detailed opinion to say there is a better way to do it. I like to read, and think about lots of things, so I know a little about a lot Smile

But this... This has been gnawing at me. I have to believe that only sports fans who pretend to be ostriches think that Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are innocent. Do I think that what they did was illegal? Yes. Do I think that they lied? Yes. Do I think that they have a chance in getting them convicted? No Way. It just isn't feasible. And what is the end game of that? Prison Time? Probation? Fines?

These guys earned $100+ MILLION dollars. There is no Fine that will take that away, there is no way that without a prior record, they are going to see prolonged jail time.

Then, when I saw the Edwards trial results, I was just stunned. They had made this a huge case, and lost.

I'm not saying I think "white collar" crime like what was alleged of Edwards campaign monies, or the lies of Athletes to congress should go unpunished. But, I guess its the parent in me saying "pick your battles".
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright