Item Class Powerups
With patch 1.10, you can up the class of an item, from normal to exceptional to elite. Simple enough. I've seen how to transmute uniques, rare, magic, and normal. Is it possible to upgrade the set items as well?

My current obsession is to collect all items of all sets (only play single player or LAN anymore, Battle.net grew tiresome). Then create characters named for the set, like Berserker, for Berserker's arsenal.

The only issue I've had so far, with the lower level characters I have, is that starting roughly around nightmare level, defense and sometimes damage are too low, and death becomes fairly certain for bashers. So if I can upgrade the class of the set items, then that would solve that problem.

If you know the formulas, or if the formulas are the same as for uniques or something, please let me know, and you'll help out greatly.
SetBuilder,Mar 24 2005, 12:13 PM Wrote:With patch 1.10, you can up the class of an item, from normal to exceptional to elite. Simple enough. I've seen how to transmute uniques, rare, magic, and normal. Is it possible to upgrade the set items as well?

My current obsession is to collect all items of all sets (only play single player or LAN anymore, Battle.net grew tiresome). Then create characters named for the set, like Berserker, for Berserker's arsenal.

The only issue I've had so far, with the lower level characters I have, is that starting roughly around nightmare level, defense and sometimes damage are too low, and death becomes fairly certain for bashers. So if I can upgrade the class of the set items, then that would solve that problem.

If you know the formulas, or if the formulas are the same as for uniques or something, please let me know, and you'll help out greatly.
[right][snapback]71772[/snapback][/right]

You can only upgrade (in the sense of normal->exceptional or exceptional->elite) rare items and uniques. You cannot upgrade anything else.
Damn. Thanks though.

What about crafted Items? Suppose that'd be a no as well?
SetBuilder,Mar 24 2005, 12:56 PM Wrote:Damn. Thanks though.

What about crafted Items? Suppose that'd be a no as well?
[right][snapback]71776[/snapback][/right]

Nope. Only rares and uniques.
Since you're playing primarily in Single Player, you might want to check out Nobbie's D2LoD Classic Style Mod, which does allow Set items to be upgraded like uniques and rares. The mod also makes some significant changes (vast improvements, IMbiasedO) to gameplay balance, but Nobbie did break out all the modified .txt files in his latest version, so you might be able to incorporate the Set item upgrade feature into vanilla v1.10 by using the appropriate .txt file in -direct -txt mode--I'm not really sure about this, though.

More information on Nobbie's Mod can be found in this thread.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
I appreciate the information, and I may look into it, however I don't really like modding the game, as it disrupts ability to add patches, and tends to hurt reliability. Besides that, I like how it's currently balanced. More challenging than it has ever been. I like a good challenge. :D