D2 trivia generation for "quiz"
Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 12:08 PM Wrote:therefore one must visit Durance of Hate level 3.[right][snapback]67654[/snapback][/right]

How does one visit the durance of hate level 3? I was under the impression that you could only take portals into the durance once you had completed the kill-the-high-council quest; if you can get that quest whilst being in town, then fair enough. Otherwise you're going to have to visit Travincal as well.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Trivia Question: can one sell one's starting equipment to the shop for a profit beyond the nominal 1 gold per item?

Since some games have players starting new characters just to sell their pre-supplied equipment for cash Diablo's designers cleverly made all your starting gear only worth 1 gold a piece. This is also nice because it keeps your repair costs down (and you can just, carefully, sell those Javelins to a shop and buy them back, if you don't want to pay even a mere gold to Charsi for repairs).

If there any way to defeat this safeguard to reap immoral satisfaction and gold from your starting equipment?
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 02:10 PM Wrote:Trivia Question: can one sell one's starting equipment to the shop for a profit beyond the nominal 1 gold per item?
Warning: this is answer/discussion of the trivia ...

Yes, there are a couple of ways that I know of:

Your town portal scroll and identify scroll add 25 gold worth of value in resale to TP & ID books, respectively. If you got enough newbie chars scrolls it would actually pay (better than a gold per, net) to buy a tome from the shop and fill it up then sell it back.

If you have a Horadric cube (or can "borrow" one) then:
Javelins + (buy) arrows = Javelins (and this stack is normal $, not 1 gold limit)
Axe + (buy weenie) dagger = throwing axes (ditto)

Both of those are fairly profitable.

I rather doubt that even someone with a lot of free time and a whimsical nature would seriously use these methods to make gold. :blink:

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

lfd,Feb 9 2005, 02:07 PM Wrote:How does one visit the durance of hate level 3?  I was under the impression that you could only take portals into the durance once you had completed the kill-the-high-council quest; if you can get that quest whilst being in town, then fair enough.  Otherwise you're going to have to visit Travincal as well.
Ala Ruvanal et al one may just sit on one's behind in town, partied, and get credit for the Council being killed, provided that a character on the scene (even if dead!) is being granted credit.

Trivia Question: which unique monsters can swap guard duties?

The game has quite a few places where the player is supposed to quest for a unique item and a Super-unique monster is on-site to guard the treasure. Is there a situation where two such can possibly exchange duties?

Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 02:26 PM Wrote:Trivia Question: which unique monsters can swap guard duties?

The game has quite a few places where the player is supposed to quest for a unique item and a Super-unique monster is on-site to guard the treasure. Is there a situation where two such can possibly exchange duties?
Warning: this is answer/discussion of the trivia ...

Yes, at least one that I can think of:
Treehead Woodfist and The Smith can travel to each other's guard post. I can't say I've ever heard of a player going to the trouble, but it would be a fun prank (and easy to set up on a newbie, since they can't get to Dark Wood for some time after starting the game).

Heiho,

Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 02:36 PM Wrote:Well, we have, for sockets:
6 weapon
4 torso
3 helm
4 shield
======
17 sockets
actually, speaking of a Barbie, you'd have two sockets more - wielding two swords sometimes does that to you ^^
This is for sure reason for some debating, as lots of players I know are aware of this barb ability (although they use it along with Lem Runes ...)
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
librarian,Feb 9 2005, 02:46 PM Wrote:actually, speaking of a Barbie, you'd have two sockets more - wielding two swords sometimes does that to you ^^
Ah, good point, thanks.

Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 07:36 AM Wrote:Warning: this is answer/discussion of the trivia ... 

Well, we have, for sockets:
6 weapon
4 torso
3 helm
4 shield
======
17 sockets

The question ignores +mana/kill other than socketing, but is nonetheless a trick question!... Jewels can have +3 mana/kill (perfect Aureolin)! So the answer I'm looking for is: +51 mana/kill. :)
[right][snapback]67668[/snapback][/right]

Crys, a barbarian can dual wield two six socketed swords, so the number can be as high as

12 weapon
4 torso
3 helm
0 shield

19 x 3 = 57.

FWIW.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:Warning: this is answer/discussion of the trivia ... 

Treehead Woodfist and The Smith can travel to each other's guard post. I can't say I've ever heard of a player going to the trouble, but it would be a fun prank (and easy to set up on a newbie, since they can't get to Dark Wood for some time after starting the game).
[right][snapback]67681[/snapback][/right]

The hellforge and the chaos sanctuary are in-line so any super unique, including diablo can be switched.

Shenk, eldritch and "the one near the crystaline passage :P" can all switch.

stormtree and the gibdin's protector can switch with the council and any other super uniques in the open areas of act3.

gta-maloy],Feb 14 2005, Wrote:The hellforge and the chaos sanctuary are in-line so any super unique, including diablo can be switched.
[right][snapback]68035[/snapback][/right]

I find it hard to believe the bit about Diablo - to the best of my knowledge, he can't be coaxed out of the main room of the Chaos Sanctuary. I've tried it.
Zingydex,Feb 14 2005, 01:48 PM Wrote:I find it hard to believe the bit about Diablo - to the best of my knowledge, he can't be coaxed out of the main room of the Chaos Sanctuary.  I've tried it.
[right][snapback]68039[/snapback][/right]

I've forced Uber D in....never tried out though.
gta-maloy],Feb 14 2005, Wrote:The hellforge and the chaos sanctuary are in-line so any super unique, including diablo can be switched.

Shenk, eldritch and "the one near the crystaline passage :P" can all switch.

stormtree and the gibdin's protector can switch with the council and any other super uniques in the open areas of act3.
Yes, I should change the trivia from "guardpost" to something like: "standing guard near a quest fixture with unique properties" or something.

Then Diablo is eliminated (since he won't even begin to leave CS), Gidbinn is out because they aren't "standing guard" (and thus there is no one for the Council to swap with). Shenk et al aren't guarding anything in particular.

I have to say, though, the idea of pulling the Council en masse to surround the Giddbin strikes me as a funny photo-op. :)

Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 08:30 AM Wrote:Warning: this is answer/discussion of the trivia ... 

[right][snapback]67681[/snapback][/right]

Man, bring back memories! Back within the first year Diablo II came out, I took the trouble one night to coax the Smith out into the Tamoe Highland, The Black Marsh, and finally next to the tree in a Pubbie game. I did not play Hardcore in those days, and there were a few other critters who followed my Zon around on that walk. I then gave the folks who were in the Underground passage by that time a TP to the DW. I can only say the panic when that whole crowd descended upon them was funny. A couple of the folks thought it was funny, a few called me very mean names. I got a kick out of it.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
gta-maloy],Feb 14 2005, Wrote:I've forced Uber D in....never tried out though.
[right][snapback]68069[/snapback][/right]

regular diablo doesn't come out, but getting Hephasto to coem in may be possible. All the uniques at the seals may be able to come out.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Feb 15 2005, 09:23 PM Wrote:  All the uniques at the seals may be able to come out.
[right][snapback]68157[/snapback][/right]

It was long ago (version 1.09) and I was alone and questing in a Hell game, but I once did get The Grand Vizier all the way into the regular River of Flame. (Actually, he chased me. :o ) I didn't realize at the time that he needed to be killed before Diablo himself would come out to play, so I then took the waypoint to the Pandemonium Fortress and my tp back to the Chaos Sanctuary to finish clearing it. It was only when Diablo refused to appear that I realized that I would have to go back and face The Grand Vizier anyway. :rolleyes:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 08:02 AM Wrote:Trivia Question: a new character has completed normal difficulty... what is the minimum number of areas other than towns that they had to visit?
[right][snapback]67653[/snapback][/right]
Two?

Act 1, start, stay in town and get andy quest. (0)
Act 2, stay in town and get duriel quest. (0)
Act 3, talk to cain after someone got trav quest (not sure on this one), goto durance level 3 n thru portal. (1)
Act 4, Chaos Sanctuary when diablo dies. (1)
Act 5, stay in town and get baal quest. (0)
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 08:31 AM Wrote:Trivia Question: you buy a couple items from a shop, mess with them a little, and then sell it back to the shop at a profit! What did you do?
[right][snapback]67658[/snapback][/right]
I do believe that is you socket those items (runewords) and it increases the net value of the item. Also possible is cubing? If you can only 'mess' by using the items bought, then I'm stumped. (unless of course someone else sold the necesary runes/gems/jewels)
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Crystalion,Feb 9 2005, 10:10 AM Wrote:Trivia Question: can one sell one's starting equipment to the shop for a profit beyond the nominal 1 gold per item?

Since some games have players starting new characters just to sell their pre-supplied equipment for cash Diablo's designers cleverly made all your starting gear only worth 1 gold a piece. This is also nice because it keeps your repair costs down (and you can just, carefully, sell those Javelins to a shop and buy them back, if you don't want to pay even a mere gold to Charsi for repairs).

If there any way to defeat this safeguard to reap immoral satisfaction and gold from your starting equipment?
[right][snapback]67674[/snapback][/right]
Stacking Javs on another non starter stack should work
Scrolls into tomes count as the full value. (in a tome)
3 of the pots and 3 mana pots with gem transforms into a rejuv
Alternatively, the 4 potion, ruby, sword recipie uses 5 items.
Any cube involving a buckler works.
reroll any starter item with 3 gems. You can get very high amounts with wands and staves.
whathuh,Feb 16 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:Act 4, Chaos Sanctuary when diablo dies. (1)
You are right that someone has to be in CS near/when Diablo dies who gets quest credit, however the other characters in town needing credit for the quest carry-along just fine. So only the Red Portal on Dur3 forces you off your duff (to get to act 4).

In related trivia (e.g. single CDKey rushing without doing Khalims quest) if a char doesn't have/get Council kill quest credit, they can still get out of act 3 but they'd have to visit Trav, Dur 1, Dur 2 as well (in order to bypass the Durance interlock via TP to Trav when stairs down already open, then walking to claim Dur2 WP for use in subsequent game).