Should this happen?
One would think that a unique Paladin shield wouldn't spawn with +2 to JAVELIN AND SPEAR SKILLS...

This may be an SP-only bug; I don't know. But the Arreat Summit says nothing about the HoZ spawning with the wrong class's bonuses.

When I get the screenie hosted, I'll put it here, or submit it as an STSI.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Quote:Should this happen?

Umm.. no. :blink:
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Quote:Proud owner of the Mana Potion of the Immolated Celestial Flesh of the Empyrean Bow of the Undead Cleaver

Looks like you have another item to add to this list. :lol:
Here's the screenie.

[Image: 0.jpg]

Sir_Die_alot: That list keeps track of all the things my Mighty Morphin' Mana Potion has called itself. It started as an Empyrean Band, but when I started a new game, it turned into a Unique Potion of Mana that called itself the Undead Crown. Every time I start a new game, it turns into something else. At any rate, it's from Diablo, not DII.
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
can you post the character's .d2s somewhere? I'm curious if the item's bits are sane-looking

-- frink
Quote:Sir_Die_alot: That list keeps track of all the things my Mighty Morphin' Mana Potion has called itself. It started as an Empyrean Band, but when I started a new game, it turned into a Unique Potion of Mana that called itself the Undead Crown. Every time I start a new game, it turns into something else. At any rate, it's from Diablo, not DII.

I know, I saw the post. Like I said you have another item to add to your list of waky items (well it's plural now anyway :P ). :D
How do you mean, sane-looking?
Lady Vashj,Mar 16 2004, 08:03 AM Wrote:How do you mean, sane-looking?
I'm wondering if the item looks like it would if that unique normally spawned with +2 crossbow/bow skills or if it's somehow corrupted and the game is interpreting it as that. Mostly out of curiousity, i don't have any great insight on how the game internals work, but i'm somewhat familiar with the save file/item format

-- frink
I'm still confused. But I think that HoZ was supposed to spawn with +2 to Combat Skills.
Correct. It should have +2 combat skills.

The defense is also off somehow. A 150% ED gilded shield should have 422 defense, while yours has 360. So there are two irregularities in the item. Assuming you weren't playing a mod, something just went wrong with the item generation. I can't explain it.
Not necessarily. It depends on the base defense of the shield. A shield with net 422 defense and one with net 360 defense are adding 150% of two different numbers.
Except that if an armour has ED (on the item, not sockets), it sets its "base" defense to the maximum possible base defense + 1. So all HoZs will have 169 "base" defense and will thus have 422 defense if they have 150% ED.

This max + 1 thing is skipped when you use the armour upgrade recipes, but that's the only case I knew of. Perhaps yours did skip it as well, but that's just another buggy aspect of the item, then.
I heard from *elsewhere* that these specific bugs are exactly what you'd get if you used Jamella to give yourself that shield. This is my brother's char, and he's fonder of Jamella than I am. Also, he received Jamella 1.09 from a friend the day this shield was "found". This makes me suspicious.

I had borrowed his computer (which still has 1.09) and did a Baal run with this char. Once Baal died, I left him to pick up the items. One of them was a blue shield, one was unique; I got the impression that they were one and the same. I asked him about the unique later; he said it was HoZ and showed it to me. He didn't have it identified while I was watching; in fact, I recall him quitting the game without going back to town. I assumed it was the shield Baal had dropped.

But thinking too hard about this opens up too many coincidences, and involves him thinking more of my intelligence than he does.
I heard from *elsewhere* that these specific bugs are exactly what you'd get if you used Jamella to give yourself that shield. This is my brother's char, and he's fonder of Jamella than I am. Also, he received

Whats jamella? anyway all in all if you ever decide to trade the sheild, you have more you can brag about andyou probably can get better than you expect from it
Jamella is a fairly popular "trainer" program that can be used to edit single-player characters. The possibilities are almost limitless; I have taken a level 1 Zon with no equipment but the shield and javelins she starts with to a level 99 Uber-Goddess with impossibly godly crafted, socketed, eth, indestructible equipment without ever actually having played with her.

The shield belongs to a single-player character. I can't trade it unless I go on Open Bnet, which I might do sometime after the Lions win the Super Bowl.