Would you please stop...
Quote:How can anyone not love a pair of disembodied lips singing about classic sci-fi?

I don't know....

I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show - enough to buy the DVD so's I can watch it any time I like. :P

And, I happy to report, in that vein: The last episodes of LEXX are finally available on DVD. I got to see the last episode last night, after waiting all this time. I missed it when it was showing on the Sci-Fi channel, despite watching most of the other episodes, and have had to wait all this time to to finally get the end of the story. Such a wild and wacky story. B)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Sir_Die_alot,Feb 19 2004, 11:23 PM Wrote:REVENGE! Bolty seeks revenge and is hoping to flood their site!  :lol:
That's right! Together we can bring them down!

When pigs fly :)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I was rather proud of the way they did the last few eppisodes,
including stanly's final preformance.

If only only I could find the proper lyrics for the song of the brunen-G...

I hope the seccond chance (not spoiling for who) works better...
The wind has no destination.
Bolty,Feb 21 2004, 12:26 PM Wrote:That's right!  Together we can bring them down!

When pigs fly  :)

-Bolty
Slashdot has more bandwidth than a Millenium Falcon packed full of isolinear chips.

(How's that for showing my geekishness? :) )
DeeBye,Feb 22 2004, 04:42 AM Wrote:Slashdot has more bandwidth than a Millenium Falcon packed full of isolinear chips.

(How's that for showing my geekishness? :) )
Well, it makes you look like a sci-fi geek poser to me! What did you do, ask your little sister for some l337 phrase to throw out?? Any real geek would immediately recognize that isolinear chips are from Star Trek and the Millenium Falcon is Star Wars. Sheesh. Give it a better try next time! ;)

"It's time for a spritz."
"Laaadddyyy.....'
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Last time I checked, the Falcon was jam-pack with wires and cable assemblies, all which had a nasty tendency to short out and catch fire when the ship was hit by laser blasts. No chips, no bio-neural gelpacks, not quantum computer. Just a pirate who shoots first under the table and a walking carpet who does Tarzan yells when assaulting Imperial AT-STs.

Nonetheless, the Falcon's still a better ship than those pansy Federation jobs, seeing as how aboard a Federation ship you can actually get killed when your workstation explodes with all the lethality of a white phosphorus grenade, all from a weapon hit made some hundred meters away from your compartment.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
LochnarITB,Feb 22 2004, 12:55 AM Wrote:Well, it makes you look like a sci-fi geek poser to me!  What did you do, ask your little sister for some l337 phrase to throw out??  Any real geek would immediately recognize that isolinear chips are from Star Trek and the Millenium Falcon is Star Wars.  Sheesh.  Give it a better try next time!    ;)

"It's time for a spritz."
"Laaadddyyy.....'
You can pack more data into an isolinear chip from ST than you can into any SW counterpart . The Enterprise D backed up the important data from the Binar's entire homeworld, ferchrisakes. I don't recall any massive data storage feats in a SW story (be it film or novel).

And I do believe that the Millenium Falcon is quite a bit faster than any ST ship. Han has travelled across most of his galaxy, but it takes Voyageur 75 years to travel from the Beta Quadrant back into the Alpha Quadrant at high warp velocity.

So I combined the best of both franchises -- the high velocity of Star Wars with the huge data-capacity of Star Trek. That equals great bandwidth, and makes me a huge geek :)
Quote:Nonetheless, the Falcon's still a better ship than those pansy Federation jobs, seeing as how aboard a Federation ship you can actually get killed when your workstation explodes with all the lethality of a white phosphorus grenade, all from a weapon hit made some hundred meters away from your compartment.

In defense of this 'logic', note that on Federation ships the bridge (which is almost always where we see terminal deaths) is located in the bulge at the top-center of the primary (saucer) hull. It's not unlikely for it to take a direct hit in battle (and extremely likely if the opposition knows where the bridge is, I would think).

I actually wonder how the Enterprise made it five years without the bridge being exposed to vacuum somehow. ;)

... And while we're on a Trek/Wars tangent, I'll go ahead and derail abit more, since this issue's been bugging me for awhile.

I'm a confirmed book junkie, and my local library (only 3 blocks away, bay-bee B) ) is absolutely terrified of me. I'm in there at least once a week.

However, I seem to have gone through most of their good fiction. So, in my desperation I checked out a few Star Wars books. Some of the "New Jedi Order" ones, no less. I was underwhelmed by 'Vactor Prime', and since then have been avoiding them. But, they're not that bad.

But I've noticed something strange: the whole premise of the series is eerily familiar; it's almost as if the writers looked back 10 or 12 years and lifted the BattleTech timeline wholesale. In both cases we have a 'known universe' that's a tinderbox of factions ready to explode (the New Republic / the Inner Sphere), invaded by 'aliens' from unknown space (the Yuuzhan Vong / the Clans) with unknown and advanced technology (biotechnology / omnitech) with a seemingly-incomprehensible religion/society and/or rituals and battle tactics (the Vong's gods & yammosks / Zelbrigen, bidding, hiigara). In both cases the invading force makes strides early due to surprise and a technological advantage, but the defenders learn to adapt and improvise. In both cases the older generation (Han, Luke, Leia / Takashi Kurita, Jaime Wolf, Thomas Marik, etc.) are just about to step aside for the younger generation (Jacen, Jaina, Anakin / Victor Davion, Phelan Kell, Kai Allard-Liao). Both have prominent 'elder' characters who die early on (no spoilers here!).

It's just eery. I'd lay money that I know pretty much what'll happen to the Vong already. :(

Quote: I was rather proud of the way they did the last few eppisodes,
including stanly's final preformance.

If only only I could find the proper lyrics for the song of the brunen-G...

I hope the seccond chance (not spoiling for who) works better...

The original movies will always be better than the television series, if only because Eva Habermann starred in them! :D

And yes, the song of the Brunan'Gi was totally awesome.

Who's second chance?

EDIT: Star Wars vs Star Trek, bay-bee! cliky-clicky

EDIT2: Uploaded a pic of Eva B)
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Quote:Viking bona fides: Grandma side comes from York, Viking settlement, and Grandpa's side is Danish, Viking Blood. As further evidence, my kids are blonde, the dominant Viking stereotype coming through to overtake my own modestly brunette genes! 

I had a danish for breakfast this morning ..... what does viking taste like ? :P
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Quote:but it takes Voyageur 75 years to travel from the Beta Quadrant

Delta quadrant... :P

-Bob
You might want to check out the archeological evidence unearthed in Newfoundland to see if the Natives in that area were cannibals, and how they felt the best way to "serve Vikings" was.

(Ref Damon Knight's "To Serve Man" SF short story.) :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 23 2004, 07:25 PM Wrote:(Ref Damon Knight's "To Serve Man" SF short story.)  :)
And also the classic episode of (hmmm... was it Twilight Zone or Outer Limits? - geez I hate this oldtimer's disease).

"It's a cookbook..."
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."