OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen?
The only name of importance for any of my hardcore characters is: IDoNotFearDeath
"One day, o-n-e day..."
I saw Forum_Necromancy, a summoning necro last night. Funny if you read any forums where that term is commonly used to refer to people bumping months old posts.
Just wanted to add, I had to change one character's name for Realms because it wouldn't accept part.

Lady_Smacdoun became Phire_Saporte.
She could always get a Meteor-strong Sorc sister named Phire_Forafect
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
The only names that I have used that I would call anywhere near clever are:

Knochemdaughn - Classic Diablo Warrior and D2 Barbarian
Bloughemup - D2 Fire Sorceress

I do love the naming of the character that apparently perceives deceased homo sapiens. ;)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Most of my character names (other than dear LavCat and Tribade) are drawn from history and literature. The only clever part is finding names not taken. My most recent barbarian, for example, is Shilbung.

However I do admit to having a summoning necromancer named Henthreery.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
My favourite characternames are:
Bowhemian-bowazon perhaps?
CallmePal - after the Paul Simon-song
Coyote_ugly -Werewolf on SP
Roadrunner- Charger on SP
Yogi_bear - Werebear on SP

I agree with the others: "I_CEDeadPeople" is just da bomb :D
[I]-would you care to join us?
- why, are you coming apart?
Hello all,

I don't know if this thread exclusively refers to DII & LoD,
but my favorites are:

Rohirrim - my lvl 86 Bow Amazon [DII]; originally a swathe of land in Tolkien's LotR
Mithrandir - my lvl 85 Javelin Amazon [DII]; originally Gandalfs name in elvish language (yes, I love this book)
Bemn-Zaridaral - my lvl 38 Monk from Hellfire [DI]; completely fictive (anyone had it before? mail me!)
Berkashir-Nimsu - my lvl 12 Rogue who wants Bemns Windforce [DI]; again completely fictive.

As to what concerns DII, I often ended up calling female chars with fictive names ending with the letter 'a'. It somehow appeals to me as being particularly female, for example 'Zharenna' (being an hommage to Zhar the Mad, who was a boss in DI and quite atmospheric)
Others were Novatara, Kumtesla and Infernia. Some of them speak for themselves ;)

Males, I tend to give 'em strong and heroic names (a bit tacky, I know), like:
Lachdanan, Isengardt, Boromir-Dur and Zhangorodrim. Again, you notice I'm inspired by Diablo I and the outstanding book.

I particularly like my Assassins Blackjade and Red-Vex, too :D

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I use the Everchanging Book of Names to create good fantasy names that aren't a ripoff of something. My free version has a huge list of names derived from J.R.R. Tolkien. (I spelled that wrong, didn't I?) Not all are from his books. It also has Artharurian, Celtic, and Viking. A Viking barb? What fun! Too bad I can't remember any of them.
At some point I decided to pull character names from various mythologies, a different one for each character class. I've tried to come up with some that sort of make me look at the chars in a new light. E.g. my Sorceress names come from Egyptian mythology, like my current MF sorc Sebek-Ra (a warrior god of fertility). My Necromancer names are from various alchemical texts; my current summoner is Mortificatio (an alchemical stage described as "Killing the Live to Revive the Dead"). Nigredo, the more common name for it, is unfortunately taken. My assassin names come from schools of ninjitsu, like Gyukoshin-Ryu, my trapper. Pallies are Norse mythology. Any future Barbs I make will be from Chinese myth, and Druids from Aztec. I haven't decided on what to pull 'zons from - maybe Tolkien, or come to think of it, I think Biblical myth would be a cool one.
You disappoint me, Mythology buff. Amazons = Greek. ;) But if you want something original, why not Native American?

I myself have pulled Paladin names from Celtic heroship. Okay, that's one easy, given that my handle itself is from Celtic heroship.

But you have noticed, no doubt, that the Barbarian denizens of Act V have names that are disturbingly similar to Klingon...
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 4 2003, 11:29 PM Wrote:You disappoint me, Mythology buff. Amazons = Greek.  ;) But if you want something original, why not Native American?

I myself have pulled Paladin names from Celtic heroship. Okay, that's one easy, given that my handle itself is from Celtic heroship.

But you have noticed, no doubt, that the Barbarian denizens of Act V have names that are disturbingly similar to Klingon...
...which as I understand was based largely on north western Native American tongues.

One of my heroes is a barbarian named in honor of a Pictish king -- Fortran.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
'Native American' needn't be the tribes of the North American continent. The Aztec or Mayan Empires, or any of the other Pre-Columbian nations, may supply names.

As I recall, Spanish conquistadors learned of a huge legendary island that lay off the western coast of the Americas, one said to be populated by a tribe of warrior women. The queen who led this tribe was said to be named Calafia, and when the Spaniards crossed the seas and came across what they thought to be this very island, they named it in reference to her...

...Then it turned out to be that this 'island' was, in fact, a peninsula. But it still bears that bestowed name: California.

'Calafia' would be the perfect name. A legendary woman warrior much akin to the Greek Amazons. And better yet, little Miss Blonde would then be named after the original California girl.
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 5 2003, 04:29 AM Wrote:But you have noticed, no doubt, that the Barbarian denizens of Act V have names that are disturbingly similar to Klingon...
Really? They seem just bad tries at/rips from Viking names: Sigemund, Wulfgar, Garmund, Magnus, Uther, Ulric, Sigurd, Theodoric.

Some are really bad: Unferth - UMPH!! earth? Or what about Folcwald - Direct translation from Swedish that's Peopleelected).
Qhal-kek. Nihlathak. Larzuk. Kah-plah!
Those names :blink: * Hits head*
Quote:Some are really bad:

How about the act5 merc name Ip. Am I missing something about this name, or is it just ridiculous?

P.S. I haven't looked to see if Ip is still available in 1.10, but it certainly was in earlier versions.
Quote:How about the act5 merc name Ip. Am I missing something about this name, or is it just ridiculous?

YOUR MERCENARY IS BROADCASTING AN IP ADDRESS!
My best is darthaxbeatmydad... Barb... still level 1
I am MOTHMAN!!... ooooooh, pretty light... pretty,pretty light...*bang* *sizzle*...ow...
I have two semi-clever names:

AxeMeAgain - Frenzy axe Barb
PowerArmour - Defiant Zealot