Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Old merc for new?" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #3707
Reading Topic #3707
NiteFox
Member since 8-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 10:19 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail NiteFox Click to send private message to NiteFox Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
"Old merc for new?"

Just hit Act 3 NM, and now I happen to be perusing Ashaera's stock of fearless men.

I already have an Iron Wolf merc, a cold sorc now clvl 47. The range of mercs on sale at Ashaera's is currently 36-41.

Now, are there any added benefits to trading in my Normal merc for a NM merc, or will I just be taking a massive clvl hit?

I'm currently looking through the stat sheets of cold mercs on Diabloii.net, and it actually seems that NM mercs are weaker than Normal mercs of the same level. Are there any benefits to hiring a higher diff merc?

"Kitsune Densetsu"

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Old merc for new? [View All] NiteFox 11-Feb-03 TOP
  RE: Old merc for new? Baajikiil 11-Feb-03 1
     RE: Old merc for new? NiteFox 11-Feb-03 2
         RE: Old merc for new? _DOK 11-Feb-03 3
             Methinks Normals have higher resists when compared, too (nt) Nicodemus Phaulkon 11-Feb-03 4
                 Correct NiteFox 11-Feb-03 5
                     RE: Correct Baajikiil 11-Feb-03 6
  RE: Old merc for new? Chameleon 11-Feb-03 7
     RE: Old merc for new? NiteFox 11-Feb-03 8
         Werewolf, eh? Chameleon 12-Feb-03 9
             RE: Werewolf, eh? NiteFox 12-Feb-03 10
  RE: Old merc for new? Hellspawn 14-Feb-03 11

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Baajikiil
Member since 13-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 04:04 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Baajikiil Click to send private message to Baajikiil Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Old merc for new?"
In response to message #0

>>I'm currently looking through the stat sheets of cold mercs
>on Diabloii.net, and it actually seems that NM mercs are
>weaker than Normal mercs of the same level. Are
>there any benefits to hiring a higher diff merc?

The only benefit that I have heard of, is the different auras on act2 mercs.

Another benefit is that if your merc has fallen behind your own lvl, you may be able to hire another one closer to your lvl. Of course, that does not apply to you.

I have read that there are slight differences in merc stats depending on what diff you hire them in, and that normal is the best to get them in. (the difference is not that huge though)

NiteFox
Member since 8-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 04:28 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail NiteFox Click to send private message to NiteFox Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Old merc for new?"
In response to message #1

Actually, my merc's clvl is equal to my current clvl. I ran through Normal on players 8, and continued to do so until halfway through Act 1 NM.

Yeah, I know that mercs cannot surpass your clvl, then again, his exp is a few million shy of mine. Levelled in the Arcane Sanctuary (early) last, while he levelled in Tal Rasha's Tomb (late).

And am I right in thinking that Hell mercs also come in fast-cast flavors? If so, then I'll probably hold off until then.

"Kitsune Densetsu"

_DOK
Member since 13-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 05:05 PM (GMT)
Click to send private message to _DOK Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Old merc for new?"
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON 11-Feb-03 AT 05:07 PM (GMT)

EDIT: damn used the wrong PC at work. I used my friend's(_DOK) this is Baajikiil responding.

>And am I right in thinking that Hell mercs also come in
>fast-cast flavors? If so, then I'll probably hold off until
>then.

I've never heard that hell act3 mercs get a faster casting rate than the regular ones, but I can't say no for certain. I think it's fairly unlikely though; I think I would have heard of it.

I'm pretty sure that other than a few stat and perhaps minor skill lvl differences, the act3 mercs are all the same regardless of difficulty.

Anyone know for sure?

Nicodemus Phaulkon
Charter Member
11-Feb-03, 05:16 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Nicodemus%20Phaulkon Click to send private message to Nicodemus%20Phaulkon Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "Methinks Normals have higher resists when compared, too (nt)"
In response to message #3

-nt-

NiteFox
Member since 8-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 05:34 PM (GMT)
5. "Correct"
In response to message #4

Yep. That's right. Resists are less of a problem with my current merc, as Charsi imbued a Barbed Shield with a nice 20% resist all. Useless for me (Still suffering with a trip-socketed Kite shield with Ancient's Pledge, poor little me) but as with most second-hand crap it looks good on a merc.

I'm basing the "fast cast" thing off this screenshot: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo2/stsi/stsi.php?id=20 where you can see little Jarulf with Cold and Fast Cast. Ideally, this is the sort of merc I'm looking for to replace Jelani with. I gather that this shot was taken back in the heady days of 1.03, so I'm wondering if Fast Cast mercs are still in the game.

Probably not. *Sigh*

"Kitsune Densetsu"

Baajikiil
Member since 13-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 06:44 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Baajikiil Click to send private message to Baajikiil Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: Correct"
In response to message #5

>Yep. That's right. Resists are less of a problem

As I understand it, mercs resists will be 2% lower if hired in NM, and another 2% lower if highed in hell. I read this on Spirea's, so it might be out of date though.

>I gather that this shot was taken back in the
>heady days of 1.03, so I'm wondering if Fast Cast mercs are
>still in the game.
>
>Probably not. *Sigh*

Yeah, this shot was from pre LOD, where mercs were more of an oddity than the fixture they are now. AFAIK, all act3 mercs cast at same rate.

Chameleon
Member since 9-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 06:46 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Chameleon Click to send private message to Chameleon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
7. "RE: Old merc for new?"

>Just hit Act 3 NM, and now I happen to be perusing Ashaera's
>stock of fearless men.
>
>I already have an Iron Wolf merc, a cold sorc now clvl 47.
>The range of mercs on sale at Ashaera's is currently 36-41.
>
>Now, are there any added benefits to trading in my Normal
>merc for a NM merc, or will I just be taking a massive clvl
>hit?
>
>I'm currently looking through the stat sheets of cold mercs
>on Diabloii.net, and it actually seems that NM mercs are
>weaker than Normal mercs of the same level. Are
>there any benefits to hiring a higher diff merc?

I just love mercs, so spend a bunch of time looking into them.
* The lower the diff you hire in, the stronger the merc will be (ie. Normal mercs are the best).
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/spirea/Hirelings/Stats.shtml

As for the choice of a Cold Iron Wolf, well, lets just say that I personally would never use one.
If your char needs more damage, Nightmare A2 Offensive (Might Merc).
If your char needs a PI killer, Normal A1 FireArrow with +3 skills (Amazon or All Skills).
If your char needs a defense boost, Normal A2 Defensive (Defiance Merc).
If your char needs to prevent swarming, Nightmare A2 Defensive (Holy Freeze).
If your char needs a meat shield, Normal A5.
If you want Thorns, Nightmare A2 Combat.

http://www.forgottenorder.org

Chameleon, The Lost Thief
*Pads away into the darkness*

NiteFox
Member since 8-Jan-03
11-Feb-03, 07:14 PM (GMT)
8. "RE: Old merc for new?"
In response to message #7

As for the choice of a Cold Iron Wolf, well, lets just say that I personally would never use one.
If your char needs more damage, Nightmare A2 Offensive (Might Merc).
If your char needs a PI killer, Normal A1 FireArrow with +3 skills (Amazon or All Skills).
If your char needs a defense boost, Normal A2 Defensive (Defiance Merc).
If your char needs to prevent swarming, Nightmare A2 Defensive (Holy Freeze).
If your char needs a meat shield, Normal A5.
If you want Thorns, Nightmare A2 Combat.

Funnily enough, I don't want any of those.

I just want something that will slow down the advancing hoards (Except cold immunes) and also leave no corpses behind. I like Cold mercs, they do the job just fine.

Besides, what self-respecting Werewolf Druid needs a meat shield? They are the meat shield. I'd like a merc that would stand behind me and hurl snowballs over my head, but alas if only the AI were up to it most times...

"Kitsune Densetsu"

Chameleon
Member since 9-Jan-03
12-Feb-03, 04:01 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Chameleon Click to send private message to Chameleon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
9. "Werewolf, eh?"
In response to message #8

You failed to mention that before, thus I was just giving you options.

Arrrrroooooo!!!!

http://www.forgottenorder.org

Chameleon, The Lost Thief
*Pads away into the darkness*

NiteFox
Member since 8-Jan-03
12-Feb-03, 09:47 AM (GMT)
10. "RE: Werewolf, eh?"
In response to message #9

Yeah, I noticed that.

My bad.

"Kitsune Densetsu"

Hellspawn
Member since 7-Feb-03
14-Feb-03, 08:30 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Hellspawn Click to send private message to Hellspawn Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ  
11. "RE: Old merc for new?"

I realize that this is a bit off of this thread's topic, but what is so wrong with an Act I-rogue merc? I really like them. They do exactly what I want them to do; keep things off of my back when I am being overly stupid.

"Why am I the only one who has that dream?"

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic