Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Workshop
Diablo II Mechanics and Statistics
Knowledge is power. In this forum, we discuss detailed game mechanics and statistics, from how Diablo II functions, to the probabilities of events happening.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Shield Troubles" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Workshop Topic #114
Reading Topic #114
Aalardin
Charter Member
04-Jun-01, 01:01 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Aalardin Click to send private message to Aalardin Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
"Shield Troubles"

LAST EDITED ON 06-04-01 AT 01:03 PM (PDT)

I have a Blaze Sorceress, and I need to find a shield that i can gem with 3 perfect diamonds. I also need a shield that won't slow you down (towers are out, not sure of others). I am also going to use Twitchthroe, in order to maximize my blocking, but I'm not sure of the shield to use. Large shields look the best at 1st glance, but gothics could also be a possiblilty, but I'm not sure if they slow you down at all. I also would like to put as much into Vit as possible, but I'm not sure if an extra 30 life is better than 4% blocking, so a little math may be in order.

EDIT: I forgot to add the reason I posted here, and I left out a few factors in my decision.

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Shield Troubles [View All] Aalardin 04-Jun-01 TOP
  RE: Shield Troubles Ralph 04-Jun-01 1
     RE: Shield Troubles Aalardin 04-Jun-01 2
         in expansion they are -NT- Kar_Lorian 04-Jun-01 3
  RE: Shield Troubles HiSpeedSerika 04-Jun-01 4
     RE: Shield Troubles Aalardin 04-Jun-01 5
         RE: Shield Troubles KoalaBear33 04-Jun-01 6
  consider not only shield arr 04-Jun-01 7
  RE: Shield Troubles Quanal 05-Jun-01 8

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Ralph
Charter Member
04-Jun-01, 02:15 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ralph Click to send private message to Ralph Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Shield Troubles"
In response to message #0

I think a bone shield is light + 3 sockets, also low str reqs, but also low defence, with twitch should give max blocking, I dont think that large shield +twitch is max.

Aalardin
Charter Member
04-Jun-01, 02:28 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Aalardin Click to send private message to Aalardin Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
2. "RE: Shield Troubles"
In response to message #1

Bone shield can't be socketed. I would've used one, or a spiked shield.

Kar_Lorian
Member since 9-Feb-03
04-Jun-01, 02:56 PM (GMT)
Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "in expansion they are -NT-"
In response to message #2

HiSpeedSerika
Charter Member
04-Jun-01, 03:25 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail HiSpeedSerika Click to send private message to HiSpeedSerika Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: Shield Troubles"

Large Shield and Gothic Shield both slow you down (but not as much as Tower). I think the only 3-socket light shield is the Kite. Bone Shield has only 2 sockets. Spiked Shield will have 2 sockets in the Xpack as well. This information is at spirea.lurkerlounge.com.

If you are talking about Xpack, I think blocking will be a far more complicated matter than just using Twitchthroe.

Have you tried using a Tower Shield? It may not slow you down as much as you think. Sure, faster running is better, but you might be able to deal with it, and the extra blocking may make up for it. The blocking on the Kite is pretty bad, only 28% for Sorcs if I remember correctly. Spirea's page doesn't list the block percentages and I can't access battle.net right now.

Aalardin
Charter Member
04-Jun-01, 03:30 PM (GMT)
5. "RE: Shield Troubles"
In response to message #4

Thanks, I'll try out a Tower. In the X-Pac, I'll be sure to switch to a tower and put some runes into it. =]

KoalaBear33
Charter Member
04-Jun-01, 04:41 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail KoalaBear33 Click to send private message to KoalaBear33 Click to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: Shield Troubles"
In response to message #5

You need to have moderate dex in the expansion or else your blocking will be extremely low... right now, kite shield looks the best but you might want to consider the elite shields. Though the elite shields have high strength req, they all have high base blocking (but again, you need dex or else it won't matter much)...

KoalaBear33

arr
Charter Member
04-Jun-01, 11:33 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail arr Click to send private message to arr Click to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "consider not only shield"

The strength is also necessary for other equipment, including the only 4 row belt that can be gambled.

But I must say that large shield with Twitchthore looks better(with yew wand also). Or you need a light plate with gothic shield.

Quanal
Charter Member
05-Jun-01, 06:32 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Quanal Click to send private message to Quanal Click to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "RE: Shield Troubles"

>I have a Blaze Sorceress, and
>I need to find a
>shield that i can gem
>with 3 perfect diamonds.

Don't know about x-pac, but my current Kite Shield has 3 Perfect Diamonds in them.

>I also need a shield
>that won't slow you down
>(towers are out, not sure
>of others). I am

Yup, my Necro has increased speed with the Kite over Tower Shield.

>also going to use Twitchthroe,
>in order to maximize my
>blocking, but I'm not sure
>of the shield to use.
> Large shields look the
>best at 1st glance, but
>gothics could also be a
>possiblilty, but I'm not sure
>if they slow you down
>at all. I also

I think they do a bit, as in medium-weight.

>would like to put as
>much into Vit as possible,
>but I'm not sure if
>an extra 30 life is
>better than 4% blocking, so
>a little math may be
>in order.

>EDIT: I forgot to add the
>reason I posted here, and
>I left out a few
>factors in my decision.

Quanal