Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Workshop
Diablo II Mechanics and Statistics
Knowledge is power. In this forum, we discuss detailed game mechanics and statistics, from how Diablo II functions, to the probabilities of events happening.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E)" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Workshop Topic #124
Reading Topic #124
ignatz
Charter Member
06-Jun-01, 02:04 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail ignatz Click to send private message to ignatz Click to add this user to your buddy list  
"Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E)"

Hey lurkers,

Okay, so in these cases, does magic find percent count toward the kill? That is, who or what is actually counted as the killer?

Thorns
IM
Hydra
Minions (shadow master, valk, etc)
Traps
Ravens
Open wounds
Poison

Do we know? I can't seem to find anywhere reliable information about this.

Thanks,

Ignatz

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E) [View All] ignatz 06-Jun-01 TOP
  I'm sure I saw something on this a few days ago... Elric of Gransadmin 06-Jun-01 1
  RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E) Justibone 06-Jun-01 2
     RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E) ignatz 06-Jun-01 3
  RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E) Jarulf 06-Jun-01 4
     RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E) ignatz 07-Jun-01 5

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Elric of Gransadmin
Charter Member
06-Jun-01, 02:12 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Elric%20of%20Grans Click to send private message to Elric%20of%20Grans Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "I'm sure I saw something on this a few days ago..."
In response to message #0

Hail Ignatz,

Well, I cannot remember where or when so I'll relay what I think the answers are

Thorns/IM: I think only if you are hit, but maybe not there either.
Hydra/Minions(incl Ravens): Nope.
Traps: I do not know, but I think these count as minion kills.
Open wounds/Poison: No way!

Pretty well you have to kill it yourself. It doesn't matter what you use to do it (weapon or magic), but it must be you involved in the kill in a more direct manner than minions. I think Poison/Open Wounds is a nasty bug, though, and hopefully will be fixed.
Easy way to know: if Triumphant works, then %MF works

May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.

Justibone
Charter Member
06-Jun-01, 09:02 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Justibone Click to send private message to Justibone Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E)"

My necro, when using IM, doesn't get any benefit from MF items. I put a tarn on my thorny-pal and he had MF on a ring, and he seemed to get rare items when teamed with a necro, after monsters killed themselves on the necro's golem.

My determination: IM doesn't cooperate with MF, but thorns seems to.

Baron Justibone,
Summoner DeathMage

ignatz
Charter Member
06-Jun-01, 09:16 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail ignatz Click to send private message to ignatz Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E)"
In response to message #2

Oo, interesting. Maybe this needs investigative action. I wonder if it's a bug if they work differently; it would seem somewhat silly, I think. I suppose it may have to do with the thorns being on allies and IM on baddies, but either way the source is still the player.

I'll play with thorns and see if I can nail down whether it works or not. I have a MF% find set that's exactly 150% and another that's exactly 151%, so that may do it for testing.

It's strange, though, since who gets the kill is relatively important in CD and possibly so in D2X. Triumphants, 25% exp. bonus in parties, MF%, et cetera. You would think it would not be difficult since I _think_ that for experience, hydra kills, for instance, result in the 25% bonus in parties (anybody confirm/deny?), since the game clearly knows it's making the kill and who cast the hydra.

Ignatz

Then again, if MF% is analagous to luck, then maybe Hydras can't get lucky? Sheewiz.

Jarulf
Charter Member
06-Jun-01, 09:33 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Jarulf Click to send private message to Jarulf Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E)"

>Hey lurkers,
>
>Okay, so in these cases, does
>magic find percent count toward
>the kill? That is, who
>or what is actually counted
>as the killer?

For an attack, the game basically keep track of an "attacker" and a "defender". Those can be monsters, players, missiles and so on. When a missile attack, its originator is set to the attacker if I recall correctly. For return attacks, such as Thorns and IM, the defender and attacker in effect swap roles for that return attack.

When a kill is scored, the game will NOT for the purpose of item drops, trace backwards to the owner if the attacker happened to be a minion, hireling and so on (for experince point purposes it do however). The game will fetch the MF value from whoever was the attacker. Lets see below what that tells us.

>Thorns

The "defender" of the original attack is the atatcker of the return atatck and thus its MF applies. However, should the Thorns exist on a minion, hireling or so, it would not trace back and fetch the owner of those for the MF.

>IM

Same as above.

>Hydra

The missile fired by it makes the Hydra the attacker. It is handled as a monster by the game thuscount as a sort of minion, and the MF of the sorceress will thus not be used.

>Minions (shadow master, valk, etc)

Same as for hydra.

>Traps

??? This is expansion, right? I have no idea how it works there. I don't know what type of unit a trap is, if missile, yes, should work, otherwise, nope, unless they changed it in the x-pack, but then chances are that minions and such also work different.

>Ravens

???

>Open wounds

Open wounds in effect is a life regeneration modifier and not an attack. Such effects are handled in the process of updating characters. It does not trigger any such effects as MF from the original character causing the poisons. I have not checked how the game handle it experience wise though, should work I suppose.

>Poison

Same as open wounds, works by same mechanism, at least in normal game.

>Do we know? I can't seem
>to find anywhere reliable information
>about this.

No idea how reliable my information is. I tend to be correct most of the time though in my own experience

ignatz
Charter Member
07-Jun-01, 02:43 PM (GMT)
5. "RE: Magic Find % and who did the killing? (C, E)"
In response to message #4

>No idea how reliable my information
>is. I tend to be
>correct most of the time
>though in my own experience
>

Hahaha, yeah, I know the feeling. Thanks Jarulf, can always count on ye.

This also begs another question though: if you give your merc in the xpac lots of MF% find things, will he find magic items for you?

Ignatz

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic